Leopard - is this safe for a production mac?

Re: Leopard - is this safe for a production mac?

If your production process doesn't involved color correcting tasks then the reflective iMac screen will not be a problem.

If you have a daily deadline, I suggest you stay away from Leopard until at least Adobe release all updates for CS2/CS3. I have not read Quark users complaint about Leopard so far, so at least one less thing to worry about.

I bought Silver iMac, 24" Dell as primary monitor and OWC 250 GB Firewire 800 drive as primary HD. I use it for production, Leopard 10.5.1, Adobe CS3 Suite, Quark 7.3, Preps 5.3 and I have no issues. The only issue I had was fixed with 10.5.1. (My server is Panther Server Unlimited and some files were missing, not that they were deleted or something but they were just not showing in Leopard 10.5, after 10.5.1 I can see all the files.

" I have not read Quark users complaint about Leopard so far, so at least one less thing to worry about."
ROTFFL

Guess you don't go to Quarks Forums then.
The skinny is Quark 7 works version 6.5 doesn't in Leopard.
So if you have customers working in version 6.5 you can't upgrade to Leopard because 6.5 files don't always open in version 7 correctly.

Example http://printplanet.com/discuss/thread.jspa?threadID=1003&tstart=0

Anybody opening a QX 6 or earlier document in QX 7 is asking for trouble. Do you want different CMYK colorbreak for the same PANTONE colors than when the job was output last time (or different CMYK for PANTONE than they had at their end when using QX 6.5)? Do you want type rewraps? Now there's mention of moving images? Please don't screw yourself like that.

Don

I was talking to a colleague today who installed Leopard on his Mac last weekend. Running CS2 he had all sorts of issues, constant crashes when saving, etc, etc. He ended up having to reinstall Tiger after a call to Apple confirmed that CS2 is not currently compatible with Leopard. That's what the guy at Apple told him anyway. So yea, I would definitely be waiting for Adobe updates if you're in a production environment...

Cheers, Tony

Got a new mac pro here with leopard on it. All looks great except for the communication towards the windows servers here. What a mess.
- none of my aliasses work
- file types aren't recognized
- folders don't show their full content

I'm seriously considering getting back to good old tiger...

I've used Quark 6.5 and the InDesign apps with Leopard without any problems that I can see.
I did have a few problems getting some of the printers set up initially, but once I figured that out I was okay.
Note; I'm not using it daily.

almaink,

Quark 6.5 (or Adobe CS2 for that matter) won't run on Leopard using Rosetta? How about in Tiger? Any issues with either that is known (and not fixed by an update)?

Don

From the various user experiences I've read at Quarks forums, and around the web CS2 and Quark 6.5 do run in Leopard for some, for others they don't run at all or have various issues. No updates are planned for any application from Quark or Adobe at least thats the word from their web sites. Since I don't have or plan to have Leopard anytime soon I really can't say but YMMV using Leopard with any Per-Leopard application.

Thanks almaink. What about running either CS2 or Quark 6.5 in Tiger on a Mac Pro? I'll run Tiger in a VM in Leopard (or Leopard in a VM in Tiger on Mac Pro) if I have to, but I'm wanting to just use one box for all prepress stuff, and have an extra duplicate Mac Pro as a backup/second workstation. I'm going to test this stuff out before packing up my old computers and saying goodbye to them, but since the Intel Macs have been out awhile I figured there'd be known (hopefully already fixed) issues with CS2 and Quark 6.5 in Tiger using Rosetta (even if nothing is really known about Leopard yet).

Don

Anyone have a good way to use Leopard with Windows servers?

Under Tiger, one could mount the drives/folders of a server. Under leopard, you always see all the servers in your network. When you connect to them, you don't see a mounted disk on your dekstop.

If you are working under leopard in connection to windows servers, how do you mount / use them?

> {quote:title=Bobmorli wrote:}{quote}
> Anyone have a good way to use Leopard with Windows servers?
>
> Under Tiger, one could mount the drives/folders of a server. Under leopard, you always see all the servers in your network. When you connect to them, you don't see a mounted disk on your dekstop.
>
> If you are working under leopard in connection to windows servers, how do you mount / use them?

They mount on the desktop for me. I just put an alias to them in my login items in my accounts settings and they mount when I log in. They do open a finder window for every one of them but Option + Command + W closes them all at once. And then they are mounted on the desktop and I use them just like with previous versions.

I'm running CS3 with no problems so far but there may be an issue with Acrobat 8. I have not personally had problems with Acrobat but Adobe states there may be issues that they are working on.
If you're using Artpro you might want to refrain from upgrading to 10.5 until further notice ,(as per Artworks Systems).
By the way, I'm a Newbie here and would like to say hi and tell you what a nice forum you have here.
I look forward to learning from you guys and hopefully giving back when possible.
-John

Welcome John...

Regarding you Artpro remarkt: do you know something I don't? A month ago I asked the people at EskoArtwork about Artpro & 10.5; they told me they did some tests without any major problems.
What am I missing?

Sorry Kristof, I opened my yapper too soon. There was a crashing issue in Leopard, but the issue was resolved in 8.6 ver.2.
My apologies for the bad info.
I am going to road test Artpro on my home machine which is running Leopard. Before we change over though.

lol John.

We're still running Artpro 8.4 rev2.
Eever since 8.5 we get problemes with our extensions because we have multiple points in our filename (ex. 123456-1 B_V2.4.ap -> ok that's not the best name choice but it's from before my time). I've talked to EskoArtwork about this and they don't understand this. Our IT however claims we can't change this to ex 123456-1 B_V2-4.ap because our ERP system would have to be reprogrammed = too expensive.

I find it strange though that they never heard this problem before.

Let us know how the testing went...

If you are working under leopard in connection to windows servers, how do you mount / use them?

Kristof - did you get an answer? Go to Finder > Preferences. Check box "Connected Servers". You will then be able to mount drives on desktop like in previous OSs.

I have found that Leopard (10.5.1) has trouble with Sleep mode. It wakes up, kind of, and requires you to Defib it like you are in [Station 51|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency!].

Then I found some of the open apps that didn't shut down properl got hosed. Safari, Mail, iPhoto are all down for me, and I have tried all the removal of every preference, temp blah blah blah I can find.

For production, I stuck with 10.4.11 until Apple sends out the Mother-Updater and I see if some of the grief is gone.

There's not too much other than the Picture Flipper Thingy which is pretty cool, but you better have some RAM to deal with bigger files.

It does allow Remote Desktop sharing which is pretty nice for all you VNC junkies, or RDC-heads.

Still waiting for Apple for 10.5.2 and Adobe for 8.2 and getting ready to drag my magnet out of the shed and re-installing the OS on the home machines.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back