How to disable WiFi and Bluetooth on IMACs??

I need to hardware disable the WiFi and Bluetooth on my "White" IMACs. 6 in total. I work somewhere that security is Number One. I have software disable them so far but I need to disable them sooner than later.

Thanks for your help.

PrepressCop

Re: How to disable WiFi and Bluetooth on IMACs??

You'd think you work at the CIA print shop or something....

You can just remove the airport card and bluetooth transceiver from the iMac if you want to crack the case. That's really the only "secure" way of doing it.

Not CIA but close. Another 3 letter Federal agency... Could you inform me how to open up the case.

Thanks...

OK... I was bored so I opened up one of my White Intel IMacs and I think I found the WiFi chipset and the bluetooth chip. They are 5 or so Trox screws on the bottem (by the Memory door) that I unscrewed and I pulled up the front of the case and it pop right off. Those chipsets need a small Trox screwdriver and I could not find one so I pulled off the attached antenna to somewhat disable the range of them. I need to get a smaller Trox screwdriver later to finsh the job. I could not take any pictures because cameras are not allowed in here.

damn i guess our tax money doesn't go far today..........you'd figure an goverment agency would have an IT department............

things that make you go hmmmmmmmm.

You can disable the wireless networking in the "Network" control panel or use the "Airport Admin Utility"
For Bluetooth, there is a Bluetooth utility, or you can use the BlueTooth menubar pull down.

On a Mac Mini, you can disable the antenna for either easily once the case is open. I don't have experience with other Mac models that have that stuff included by default.

You really shouldn't have to disable the hardware, the software tools are enough. Make sure the end user doesn't have admin privileges to turn those back on, and make sure "Require password to unlock each secure system preference" is turned on in the "Security" control panel.

Turning wireless access off on systems is not only for "CIA" types. It is prudent for _any_ company that does not use that technology. Additionally, turning off that technology usually also turns off the power to those devices, which saves on the electricity bill ( and helps delay Global Warming ).

Cavalier attitudes toward security is what has created the spam problem we are all forced to live with, among other things. If you don't use it, turn it off or un-install it.

Chasd.

Sage advice again Charles. But personally I think that in this instance removing the hardware is the "best" way to go.

Thanks for the reply. I have disable Bluetooth and WIFI in the system preference and it works so far.
The system preference is locked out in the "Parent Controls" but someone can still open up the System Preference by going to Safari and click on Safari in the menu bar then Advanced then Proxies Change Settings... That would open up System Preference. After that they could click on Keyboard & Mouse to enable bluetooth. That leaves me as no choice then take out the hardware.

BTW, Our IT dept is for the PCs only so that leaves me as the Prepress Supervisor and the IT dude. Since I started here, I got a Mac Server going, redid all of the network cables, Brouhgt in a Presstek Dim 800 and went away with film, and also replaced all old G3 and G4 production macs with new Imacs.

Now After 2 years, I have allmost everything in line here. One more thing.... My Salary does NOT come the tax payers.

PrepressCop

Matt Beals,

I have followed you for many years. You a PDF god. Whats going on with your Pitstop Action List database? All of the files are gone... :(

PrepressCOP

Well I don't know about a "God", maybe a demi-God.... ;)

In all seriousness though I very much appreciate that feedback.

Unfortunately about a year ago the then host of the site arbitrarily deleted the database and actions and then did not bother to inform me. I had no backup of the database but I do have all of the actions. I have not put the actions back up because I do not know to whom attribution should go. I fully believe that since someone else created them that they should receive full credit. I would very much like to rebuild it, it is functioning, but I have no way of knowing who contributed. Thus I cannot rebuild it as it stood in December of 2006 and will have to start from scratch. It was a long process to build it. It is something that I have been working on in different incarnations for about 8 years.

If anyone would like to help rebuild this community for exchanging PitStop Pro/Server/Instant PDF action lists the website is: http://www.actionlistexchange.net

Again, thank you!~

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back