Medium-to-large scale check printing?

cp3333

Hi there.

My company is implementing a check printing solution that will print approximately 1000-1500 checks per day, 5 days a week.

We've been down the road with a few major printer suppliers (canon, xerox, etc), but the printers these vendors have supplied have failed quality tests in that they either run too hot and smear the pre-printed magnetic ink on the checks we are using, or run too cold and don't fuse the toner to the checks which results in smudging and illegibility of the information on the checks (i.e.: can easily scrape off with a fingernail). Technicians from each of these companies have come out to adjust temperature and roller pressure on the large scale printers they were attempting to sell us with no success in generating high quality prints that pass our QA tests for smudging and anti-tampering.

To date, the only printer we have had any success with is a tiny Samsung 2855 workgroup printer. This small printer doesn't smear the magnetic ink, AND fuses the toner very well to the checks. Unfortunately its severely on the small side for the volume of checks we want to print.

I'm wondering of anyone out there has any experience with large scale check printing, and if so, what type pf printer(s) you are using.

TIA

At your quantity you're really not hitting large scale printing. If you like the Samsung 2855 printer, why not gang multiples together into a printer farm?

Mark H

The printing aspect of our business has become pretty mission critical at this point for us, even if it isnt large scale by industry standards. I dont mind leveraging commodity print hardware, but wouldnt mind being able to engage an outside vendor to come in and take care of my printing needs from a maintenance perspective.

Also, the 2855 has a 100 page output tray, which is a real pain when we want to do large batches (1000-1500 cheques).

Further, the 2855's, while reliable so far, have no real lifecycle guarantees or 'vendor roadmap', meaning that there is no guarantee that in 6 months I'll be able to buy the same printer and implement it. I'd really like to avoid going through the whole printer proving process again in 6 months - I have plenty of other things to occupy my time. FYI, I have bought a spare 2855 as a cold standby in case the current one dies.

Last edited:
Medium to large scale check printing

Medium to large scale check printing

Ir there something special about the checks you want to print? If yes, how are they different? Would it be impractical to have someone else print them? Do they have to be printed on a laser printer. I have been working with check printers for over 20 years. Perhaps I could help.
Where are you located?
I am in the Seattle area. I know check printers all over the US and Canada. I have helped many printers get into check printing.
Larry Lindquist
[email protected]

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back