Best Mac Pro as of today

disbellj

For prepress, I need to buy new Mac Pros. Just wandering the pros and cons of the configurations available. Note: I will be using the Mac Pro to run OS X, a Windows rip (Nexus), and a proofing rip (CromaPro) all at the same time (probably via VMware Fusion or Parallels). Any advice, recommendation, and/or suggestions are welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Don

Re: Best Mac Pro as of today

If you need to use dongles (HASP) for your rips you may have trouble recognizing them in WIndows under VM. There is no problem if you run Windows in BootCamp but I have trouble to see my dongles under Parallels in Windows. Get the fastest Mac you can afford and buy as much RAM as you can at macsales.com

Ryan,

Thanks for the heads up. I have successfully used dongles for these VMs on VMware Server on Windows XP. Because of VMware being a leader and me hearing VMware Fusion is now faster than Parallels, I will probably be getting VMware Fusion for my Mac Pros.

Don

I may switch from Parallels to VM in this case... Anyway, I just bought Leopard Server and I am playing with it to learn as much as I can. If you don't need to get MacPro today I would suggest you will wait till January as they are rumors about New MacPro using Penryn CPUs that will leave the current Woodcrest MacPros in dust. That's what I am waiting for my server platform...

Hopefully this is still true of VMware Fusion. I know Parallels was first to the game for virtualization for Mac, but then VMware came out with Fusion and it's progressed even faster than Parallels, which can be understood since VMware has been doing this a long time on other platforms. I am waiting on the until MacWorld to see what new comes out. Thanks on the heads up on that.

Don

If anyone needs hardware I strongly suggest that you contact Scott Booth at JDM Infrastructure at ( 856-532-2218 ). He's a great guy to work with and has been able to find me hardware that CDW/MacMall and others can't find or get. I needed a Xraid in 24 hours on a Thursday night with overnight delivery. No one else could find a 1TB chasis and a FC card at the same time AND ship it that fast. Scott did... My RAID showed up Monday morning and was waiting for me ready to be installed.

He also sells Dell and HP amongst others. On the Dell hardware he can sometimes beat Dell internal pricing. When it comes to pulling rabbits out of a hat he's the man to do it. There isn't much that he can't get or find.

FYI, if it's at all importatnt to drive a color accurate monitor from the virtual machine, know that currently VMware Fusion will not support color management at the OS level or selection of a monitor profile. Might not be a key consideration, but there you go.

Michael,

Good to know. However, I can do the color correction if needed on the Mac side, so no big deal for me.

Don

Would you happen to know when VMware Fusion or Parallels will support me having a calibrated and profiled display in the VMs?

Don

Parrallels will already, but you would need to calibrate/profile in OSX, copy the profile to Windows and enable it, ensuring that any LUT loading apps are disabled (tip from Chromix Colornews #29). No idea if VMware fusion has plans to support or not.

Thank you once again Michael. You are the man!

Well, now the decision is not so cut and dry. Do I want speed or correct color? Hmmm.

Don

a word about parralells, I tried it for a few months and it just doesnt cut it, if you need PC power, just run windows.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back