mac configurations opinions?

rande

I guess to upgrade to CS5 we need intel Macs.
We have 2-G5 right now. I wondering what are best configuration would
be for our shop? Just want to see if anyone would care to give an opinion. What we can get by with
or should we go all out for the future. Funds are limited with the economy right now. What to make the right decision.
We're a commercial shop 2- 40" and 28"
We don't do much design work.
We manipulate PDF (pitstop) and Illus. but basically just preflight and slap them in a layout.
Haven't bought equipment in along time.
Should a shop like ours go with:
the Quad-Core or 8-core; what the difference the Quad has 2.66GHz and the 8-core has2.26 standard; which is faster?

Memory: we don't want to hang up in Illus or Photoshop or Acrobat/Pitstop.
what would be a reasonable for that? 16GB? and aagain what would be the difference between the quad and 8-code?

Graphics Card:
We preflight large Illustrator/photoshop/acrobat files and don't want to get hung up. What's a reasonable soltion here. What should we think about when deciding?

We want speed. If we need to keep the cost down we need to righ configuration to easily expand them.

thanks
Rande

Unfortunately Apple sucks (hardware choice wise). The mini is too small, the iMac comes with a built in display, and the Mac Pro is way too much machine and expensive.

You'd actually be in pretty good shape with the Mac mini. As long as you went with the one with 4GB of ram. The iMac display is supposed to be a better than average screen, so that's an option too.

I wouldn't go with the 8 core Mac Pro. Nothing will take advantage of it.

I don't really understand why people always ask about the graphics card when they won't be gaming. Yes it was an issue in the early 90's and OS7, but now any graphics card will get things done and you won't notice the difference between a $20 card and a $400 card if you're not playing Crysis.

I'd say the 8 core at 2.26GHz. The 2.66GHz will be faster, but modestly so for the amount of money. I'm not sure you'd need more than 12GB of memory, and that's a ton of memory. Most apps are still going to be 32 bit. Then I'd get the ATI card, it's pretty fast.

Even for "future-proofing", so to speak, a workstation for 3-5 years I'm not sure it's worth going to the 2.66GHz or 2.93GHz. The RAM, video card and drives can always be upgraded later as needed. It would be nice if Apple made the 10k RPM SATAII drives available...

I don't really understand why people always ask about the graphics card when they won't be gaming. Yes it was an issue in the early 90's and OS7, but now any graphics card will get things done and you won't notice the difference between a $20 card and a $400 card if you're not playing Crysis.

PhotoShop does use graphics card, since CS4… and who says he's not gaming to lett off steam after dealing with customers ;)

Oh and the OP poster seems he could use any Mac. We have gone with iMacs for layout and consider them ok for that. Calibrating an iMac does require special software, but there are other posts dealing with that. If you do serious colour management, then you would want a good monitor, prefereably hardware calibrated, and if you're willing to go that far then a MacPro is reasonable.

Note that if your output resolution is fixed, then there is a limit to how much information can be printed. We are reaching the point where the limits in resolution is the physical media and the mechanical process. The hardware with the shortest lifespan is probably going to be your monitor.

Last edited:
It was when I brought in my Imac with a fried hard drive and logic board. $900 repair done in a day covered by Apple Care, not bad ROI for a $150+ investment.

You'd be hard pressed to use 16GB of RAM for most of what we do. I can think of a few server apps that can use 16GB, but you'd need multiple instances. And really, if you're going to spring for 16GB you might as well go for the extra 4 cores. At some point you are going to want to repurpose the machine or take advantage of some new application that can use multiple cores.

I've been at this company for over 5 years. In that time I've waited for thinks to move and happen.
Re-draws, openings. I like 3 or 4 apps open at once. I would think over a period of time if you saved 10-15" here and there it would save on overtime and make the profit margin larger; same price less time.
I don't know what the bosses want but I don't want to wait on anything now or in the future. (If there is one here.) I don't want the bare minimum; is that what a quad 16GB would be? These apps are RAM suckers from what I hear.
I'm leaning toward the 8-core 3.26 with 6GB and the ATI.
Q;Big difference? Overkill?

Get at least 8GB of RAM. We did some testing at one clients office where we had a local reseller come in and help us determine actual needs. Turns out that 12GB was the sweet spot for 10.5 and 8-core Mac Pro's. What we found was that the graphic designers, with all the standard apps open, working through out the day on were "paging" up to about 10GB. So adding the extra 2GB in there was no paging going on and they were working only in RAM.

Imac vs Mac Pro

Imac vs Mac Pro

Hello everyone, I guess I'm in the same boat as Rande.
Here's a bit of background info:
We have 3 designers on staff (myself and 2 others). 2 G5's with CS3 and 1 with CS2.
We need to update from CS3. We have been putting it off because we would need to update at lease 2 stations.
I have talked the owner in to updating to CS5. Now for the problem. I completely screwed up by not realizing the whole Intel thing. Now I have to give the owner the cost for 2 new macs. One will be the main design station and the other will be a preflight and overflow design station. My question is:

Should I go with 2 IMacs, or 1 Mac Pro and 1 IMac, or both Mac Pros? I'm concerned about the screen on the IMacs. I want to make the best decision for the company (now and the future), but I don't want to break the bank either. Business has been pretty slow lately. I can't screw this up.

Any suggestions?
Jaci

Personally I am seeing more and more shops go with an iMac 27" for everyday graphics needs. Certainly enough processor, ram, and great screen real estate. AppleCare is a good investment in a business environment. IMHO.

theo ([email protected])

theo ([email protected])

To agree with several commenters already - AppleCare is always worth it.

Regarding RAM, you want a minimum of 1GB per core. Dual Quad - 8GB.

To add to the discussion of upgrading and having a limited budget, you might want to check out places that sell rebuilt or previously owned kit. We recently found a place that seems to offer some really good deals. I haven’t posted for a long time so I’m not sure if putting a URL is allowed so I will err on the side of caution and not post it. If listing is okay I will post it, if not, send me an e-mail and I will send the address.

The bosses are looking, seriously into buying something now. We have
LaCie electron22blue IV monitors can we use those with a Mac Pro?

The bosses are looking, seriously into buying something now. We have
LaCie electron22blue IV monitors can we use those with a Mac Pro?

You can use any monitor with the Mac Pros, even with the iMacs, like the apple guy said, its just an adapter for dvi or vga or HDMI.

The apple guy also said that he can't really compete with the third party retailers but
if something goes wrong he would replace it. Is there any advantage to buying from an Apple
Store vs a third party, online, store? I'm going to start browsing and see what I can find but does anyone have a recommendation on who else to buy from?

thanks

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back