Soy based UV inks

jlind

I just read a brochure by a paper company, name withheld to protect the innocent, claiming that it was produced with windpower (sic) and soy based UV ink. Is there such a thing as soy based UV ink? Educate me, someone. I thought soy ink was fit for newspapers and uncoated paper, not much anything else.
John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

Hi John

Not sure if it is soy based but there is a product we supply here in Australia which "contains soy oil" and is ITX, Benzo & TMPTA free. The product is a Flint Group product called "Arrowstar UV7700 series" and comes in both Process and Pantone colours. We have been using it now for approx. 12 months and have had nothing but good reports on carton board and some other substrates.

Cheers

To confirm!!

To confirm!!

and you should challenge them on it!!

Please read previous comment carefully, I did not say it is based on soy oil, only that it "contains soy oil". If you are interested in product information I am happy to send it.

Cheers

I'm convinced that any claims about UV inks made with soy oil are "wishful eco marketing speak." Our customers hear the word "Soy" and assume environmentally friendly. All they need to hear. Very good brand development by the Soy lobby.

Now, it MIGHT be possible to take soy oil and treat it like petroleum feed stock, shatter the oil molecules into ethylene and propylene and styrenes and then convert these into the acrylates that are currently used in UV ink systems. Sounds like a lot of energy input to save energy.

While some coating chemist has surely tried this, I doubt whether it was cost effective.

John Lind, Chemist
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

UV inks based on Soy oil is a stretch of the definition. Epoxidised Soybean Oil acrylate has been around for a long time but rarely used at more than 10-20% in an ink formula. The link between the original soybean oil and the ESOA is also a bit of a stretch!

More importantly...the latest trend for impverished countries is to bulldoze their rainforests and plant soybeans to sate the printing industry! Consider ALL things before believeing the hype!

Hi REYES, I am not based in the USA so I am not hands-on familiar with this ink. From what I can find however is that it is made from a resin system not unlike the one I mentioned, ESOA or similar. The major point of difference being that the source of the soyabeans is domestic USA not rainforest countries such as Brazil.
Obligatory pro-company comment: Talk to your local Toyo guy, I am sure the Eco Coy UV inks will be as good or better than any of its competitors, anything that wears a Toyo badge is made to the highest standards.

RE: UV Soy Ink

RE: UV Soy Ink

I know that a lot is being done with soy these days because it is a product derived from a renewable source, unlike petroleum, but I am not certain I have ever heard of a UV soy ink. You might want to contact The American Soybean Counsel. I think they are in Ohio. They may know.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back