Soft feel burn out or bleed.

kevrich

Question: Rubine red is what I like to call a bubble color for burn out and bleed under aqueous coatings. Has anyone encountered burn out or bleed with conventional aqueous coatings?

Second is soft feel coating more or less "aggressive" in respect to its ability to attack the pigments?

I have just recently viewed press sheets that show some"pink" shadowing around reverse type in a red blend color of Reflex, Yellow, Rubine, Black. The ink was not made for aqueous coating. Any thoughts....

Actually kevrich, rubine/magenta should be stable with the amines used in aqueous coatings. However if the rubine was tipped with another pigment other than class 57:1, it is possible that this is what you're seeing as the shadow. Ink companies will commonly add work off ink to batches and if the pure 57:1 gets adulterated by a fugitive pigment, it can happen. Particularly, because the relatively small amount that would be contained, would make the foreign pigment even more susceptible to bleed. Warm red (red lake C) would be a likely suspect in this situation.

The soft touch coatings are no more aggressive than a standard gloss, satin or matte coating by formula content. The only reason that it might be more likely to attack an underlying pigment would be the coating film thickness. If you have the ability to vary your coating thickness, printers will normally maximize the thickness of the Soft Feel to get the best desired end result, that velvety lovely feel. In short, the thicker the film, the more capability for pigment attack. D

agree with D Ink Man ^^

i would be more concerned with the reflex in your mix. If it is an alkali flush based type then it is likely to bleed under a thick/slow drying aqueous coating.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back