SPOT GLOSS OVERPRINTED MATTE LAMINATE

m3

Several pieces have come across my desk that have a spot gloss over printed on MATTE OPP.

I have either turned these projects down or steered the client towards a spot matte varnish/spot gloss mix as i'm both unfamiliar and unsure of the the adhesion quality of printed gloss on top of a polymer..... Is it an ink additive, specialty formulated varnishes ....?

Any experience/advice manufacturing a beast of this nature would be greatly appreciated.

Re: SPOT GLOSS OVERPRINTED MATTE LAMINATE

Michael:

The fact that it is matte OPP would help the adhesion issue. To make the gloss effect, I would think that you need a thick layer of coating, or, screen printing. Got a sample to share? Can you see any traces of a screen mesh around the patterns on the OPP?
John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

Michael
Spot UV varnish on matt laminate is common in the UK. - It is silk screened on - usually by the compnay that does the laminating

Peter

I have run a UV Sakurai press we would spot gloss and spot matte on film laminate on a weekly basis. I remember when I first started working there I was like "you can do that"? Yep and it adheres fine.

Matt Etch varnish

Matt Etch varnish

Hi
There is a new product available here in Australia via Graph-pak which is a varnish appied via the ink duct as you would run a conventional offset ink which gives you perfect register. You run this product over the top of a gloss laminate/cello and it has a chemical reaction with the laminate to give the matt finish and feel.

Excellent product and more cost effective (if you buy your laminate at the right price) than screen gloss uv. Also gives you the flexibilty and control of keeping your work in house under your control.

Printing Equipment Australia: Graph-Pak New and Used Printing Equipment, speak to Tom or Tina.

Good luck

Hi
There is a new product available here in Australia via Graph-pak which is a varnish appied via the ink duct as you would run a conventional offset ink which gives you perfect register. You run this product over the top of a gloss laminate/cello and it has a chemical reaction with the laminate to give the matt finish and feel.

Excellent product and more cost effective (if you buy your laminate at the right price) than screen gloss uv. Also gives you the flexibilty and control of keeping your work in house under your control.

Printing Equipment Australia: Graph-Pak New and Used Printing Equipment, speak to Tom or Tina.

Good luck
Yep good stuff.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back