Difference between ink and paint

kirby

One of my students ask me what the difference between ink and paint is. I had a hard time coming up with an answer besides one is used to cover your wall and the other is used to write/print with. I know about pigments, modifiers, and vehicles, but I need an answer that will satisfy my students. Anyone have a better answer? :confused: Thanks.

Paint is opaque and ink is traslucent. Place ink on a sheet of glass and you will be able to see through most inks, place paint on a piece of glass and you will not be able to see through it

Paint and Ink are very similar to each other actually. The differences really come down to the make up of each. Dryers, leveling agents, stiffness opacity and such. If you wanted you could use ink to paint your wall, or use ink with a brush to paint an image on canvas. Though you'd find it difficult without thinning it out so it was more like paint. Like wise paints can be used to print. Flexo ink is very much like paint. I've used paint in silkscreening. You can even do relief printing with very thick paint.

Two Answers kirby.

First, tell your students the differences are the same as compared to that of Earth and Pluto.
That should result in a rousing round of laughter and good cheer between you and your students.

Secondly, tell them this:
Paints and inks are similar in 3 respects.

1) They both need a vehicle to be a carrier to their destined location. With paint it is usually a wall, a car body or any large inanimate object. With ink the destination is usually a designated substrate that travels mechanically in form, rather than paint that is carried normally by an animate object, a human.

2) Both paint and ink contain colorant, best known as pigment. Paints contain much lesser amounts of pigments versus inks, not because what many would think. For instance, indoor paint for a room in a house is usually a pastel, light tint shade. But that's not the reason for lesser percentage of pigment. The reason is the film thickness of paint versus ink. Paint film applied by a boars head brush is a minimum of 5-10X thicker than an ink film applied by a print press. Hence, the difference in pigment differences, paint vs. ink. An average paint contains less 1-2% dry colorant pigment. An average litho ink contains 12-15% dry colorant pigment. Now you can see.

3) Drying mechanisms, paint versus ink. Most paints today are latex based and rely on quick oxidation by rapid introduction to ambient air. Now I know thee are oil based paints, and yes, these come closer in nature to the drying and setting to an offset oxidative ink. It is oleoresinous based, That is the drying oil, or vegetable oil, in the ink reacts with the salt type driers that are also part of the formulation. These oils are much slower drying and setting versus paint types, but again remember, 'thinner films'. Why no latex inks? Because the latex does not have near the hardness to hold up to the rigors of most printed material produced. If so, once touched, the latex ink film would peel off and you'd be left with a white sheet.

Kirby,

I hope that explains the differences in basic form between paints and inks. And one more thing....Thank you in providing education to our young people who will be our next generation to live and inhabit our world.

D Ink Man

Paint is opaque and ink is traslucent. Place ink on a sheet of glass and you will be able to see through most inks, place paint on a piece of glass and you will not be able to see through it

Oil paint is opaque (most of them at least) and inkjet printer's ink is translucent (as well at least most of them), so I agree so far in 99%. But.. Glass paint not necessarily has to be opaque and screen printing ink not necessarily has to be translucent. Unfortunately definitions has mixed up over last years...

Sebastian

They are all mediums for conveying color or covering up a surface. There are inks more similar to paint than other types of ink. Likewise for make up and paint. I have customers that use my inks for artists' paints. To me it is an ink to them it is a paint.

So, in my opinion, the difference between ink, paint, and many types of make up is not the product, but the application.

I know !

I know !

Gentlemen,

The difference being - Leonardo da Vinci used paint to create the

Mona Lisa, an we use ink to reproduce copies !

Regards, Alois

With paints and toners
the light bounces off of the paint or toner to the viewers eye
With Litho Inks
the light passes through the inks and bounces off of the paper back to the viewers eye.
Much like a Photo Filter

MSD

MSD

With paints and toners
the light bounces off of the paint or toner to the viewers eye
With Litho Inks
the light passes through the inks and bounces off of the paper back to the viewers eye.
Much like a Photo Filter

MSD

MSD

I can make a transparent paint and I can make an opaque ink.

This has very little to do with the difference between the two.

Truth. D

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back