what blankets are you using

Day DayGraphica 9500, excellent!! Great transfer and dot reproduction. For commercial printing and high quality print.

Sorry for the late reply my computer has been down,
I measured the blankets with our manual mic,
our printec and Kinyo blankets came in at 1.95 thats what there ment to be
the Meiji blankets came in at 1.98 posibly 2.0 but its hard to get an acurate reading with a manual micrometer

Our bearer hight is 2.45
and our blanket with packing should be 2.50
that is 2x 0.30 mm packing paper
1.95 mm blanket in which case the book says turns to 1.90 when mounted and tightened onto the cycinder.
so that gives us our 2.50 thickness

I am going to order some 0.25 mm packing and use meiji blanket with one 0,30 and 0.25 mm packing sheet that should give us our correct height..

I know all good shops should have a blanket gauge. they should also have a PH/Conductivity meter a densitometer..
We have none of these and the owner never will get any of these..
Any way I am leaving soon and where I go next if they havn't these tools I will purchase them for myself..

i'm glad to see it is just a packing issue. you will see a big difference with packing change to proper height.

on a side note, i just want to be clear that i wasn't implying that you don't do good work without a packing guage. however, no conductivity/ph meter or densitometer is another story (though, i sometimes eyeball my work and can function without a densitomiter if needed). keeping track of your variables is a crucial part of print. it's a shame your bosses don't seem to see that.

i suppose you arent in canada are you?

Sorry for the late reply my computer has been down,
I measured the blankets with our manual mic,
our printec and Kinyo blankets came in at 1.95 thats what there ment to be
the Meiji blankets came in at 1.98 posibly 2.0 but its hard to get an acurate reading with a manual micrometer

Our bearer hight is 2.45
and our blanket with packing should be 2.50
that is 2x 0.30 mm packing paper
1.95 mm blanket in which case the book says turns to 1.90 when mounted and tightened onto the cycinder.
so that gives us our 2.50 thickness

I am going to order some 0.25 mm packing and use meiji blanket with one 0,30 and 0.25 mm packing sheet that should give us our correct height..

I know all good shops should have a blanket gauge. they should also have a PH/Conductivity meter a densitometer..
We have none of these and the owner never will get any of these..
Any way I am leaving soon and where I go next if they havn't these tools I will purchase them for myself..

I'm trying to order some .25 packing paper but seems last week a heap was sold,and now there run out, and usually no one buys the stuff, maybee lots of shops have had similar issues.
We will not be able to get the meiji packed right beacuse packing paper goes up in incremennts of .05 we need increments of .025 so we will be .02mm too high will this matter?
The other blankets that came in from the same company that distributes the meiji blankets here were even further over spec instead of 1.95 thick blanket they ar 2.0 all thats on the backof them for a brand is German blanket maybee these are acura??
anyway If a blanket is ment to be high quality it shouldn't be that far out of spec,,

Just an update,
Have now got the meiji blankets on with the correct packing, the dot looks much better, still not as sharp as the printec blankets, one downside is the meiji are pinholing mainly on the lead edge,,
we will be going back to the printec blankets.

Edit update. 4 days on and the meiji blankets have had to be taken off,, what can I say,, several hundred dollars wasted.. poor impression and lots of pin holes..
have put on another blanket that came from the same supplier but a different brand german blanket CL660,, this worked a charm, although I had to adjust packing as the blanket was way over thickness.

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

I am the National Product manager for Toyo Ink Australia, we use to sell the acura blankets into the market and found them to be a average blanket with OK quality.

Over the last year we have evaluated a lot of different blankets from around the world and found the Meiji 9700A blanket to be one of the best quality blankets on the market.

We have now been selling them in to the Australian market for the last 6 months and have had no problems and printers love them.

Are these for sheetfed? I'd be interested. Michael 414-587-5956

Blankets

Blankets

I have heard that fuji makes a good blanket. is there any one using fuji blankets?

We are using the Mac Dermid XT555 on our MAN ROLAND press and at this time seeing a significant improvement. Only been using for about a month now.
These are for conventional printing only.

We also use K-110 4-ply compressible UV blankets from DYC Supply Co.. I have used these for some time and highly recommend there use.

Ken

Blanket Characteristics

Blanket Characteristics

Blanket Characteristics which aid Print Quality.

1 - Good Ink acceptence and transfer 2- Good Dot Sharpness and high print contrast.

3 - Reliable plane surface. 4 - Resistance to wash-up solvents. 5 - Absence of relief formation. 6 - Low Adhesion to avoid paper curling and picking.

7 - High Stability of fabric layers to reduce Blanket Stretch. 8 - Ability to overcome paper defects and creases. 9 - Ability to equaly print well various kinds of Inks on smooth,coated or rough paper and board.

Regards, Alois

Are these for sheetfed? I'd be interested. Michael 414-587-5956

Michael, read above , Maybee we got a dud batch of blankets, but that particular meinji blanket came in at over thickness too what they were ment to be. They printed poor solids with bad pin holing.. all over the seet pinholed but particuly towards the lead edge.

As I said maybee a dud batch but if they are ment too be such high quality then it's not looking good for them.

Try and get a free trial set,, (only pay if they are the goods)
We bought them on good faith, and had to take them off within the first week.

Salient Points re Blanket Choice

Salient Points re Blanket Choice

Not only is the Face of the Blanket important BUT also the Compressible Layer,

There are 3 types of "Compressible" layer,

1) Salt Leach Layer (70% void content) 2) Blowing Layer (10-20% void content) and

# 3) Micro Sphere Voids (40-50% void content) which is the most recent and sofar the best.
The introduction of the first succesful "Compressible Blanket" was the Reeves Bros.
"Vulcan 714" in 1964 which used the - Salt Leached void structure.

Hope this is of interest ????

Regards Alois

DYC Printing Blankets

DYC Printing Blankets

My name is John Crisp and i am a Technical Services Manager for Dyc Blanket Supply .Our Blankets have a great reputation for great printing on all types of press equipment all around the world.If you would like further information i can be reached at the following [email protected]

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back