what blankets are you using

rbailleu

I am trying to improve our output. I tried to use heidelberg brand blankets and they just were not transferring ink very well. so I bought some pacesetter pinnacles, and the difference is night and day. black runs more dense and cleaner. is there a blanket out there that is preferred.

rob

Re: what blankets are you using

Hi,

I use david M QL Blues, there ok but tend to pinhole, so we swapped to acura blankets. These withstand smashes better but dont transfer as well, so at the moment im not happy with either.

Paul

I have heard that fuji makes a good blanket. is there any one using fuji blankets?

We've used the DAY 3000 series blankets for as long as I can remember. The current series of this blanket is stamped "DAY 30004" on the backs. We get them from Accurate Printing Supply in Charlotte, NC. We have tried many, many blankets through the years, just to see if we can find something better...but have never found anything that prints as nice for us. The blankets are durable, and print the sharpest dot (our current standard line screen is 300). We are running this blanket with TOYO inks and BOTTCHER chemistry. (Note: I also know this blanket as the "Blue Patriot 3000", although I don't know if this is actually what the blanket is called anymore...this may be an old name). We have used this blanket on everything from our oldest classic style Heidelberg to our new XL105. (P.S. I can't figure out why Heidelberg sells the blankets they do. They print terrible. The first thing our demonstrator did was to take them off and replace them with the DAY blankets. Go figure)

Try the Conti-Air Latitude available from Prisco. The blanket is perfect for Heidleberg presses and has been fully validated by Heidleberg in Germany for their sheetfed presses. There hundreds of users of Latitude in North America.

thank everyone, its good to know that I am not the only one that found the heidi blankets to be terrible. I would have never expected to see such a large difference. the difference was truly unbelievable. worse let I put those heidi blankets on our di. I wondered why we were not happy with the di quality.

Hi,

I use david M QL Blues, there ok but tend to pinhole, so we swapped to acura blankets. These withstand smashes better but dont transfer as well, so at the moment im not happy with either.

Paul
Hi Paul,

I am the National Product manager for Toyo Ink Australia, we use to sell the acura blankets into the market and found them to be a average blanket with OK quality.

Over the last year we have evaluated a lot of different blankets from around the world and found the Meiji 9700A blanket to be one of the best quality blankets on the market.

We have now been selling them in to the Australian market for the last 6 months and have had no problems and printers love them.

Hi there,

just to reply to the above post two above this one. The accura was great at withstanding smashes but litho supplies who supplied the blankets only dealt with accura and day int at the time (or thats what we were told) and due to consumable tie ins were had to make the best of a bad situation. Do you supply these blankets to the uk market ? If you do e-mail me and ill sort out a pres trial.

Paul

I have used and tested virtually every blanket made. We tried the new Fuzion blanket from Allied and our pressmen fell in love with it. It has a new compressible layer that is unique to it and it prints fantastic. We run 20 micron stochastic as well as conventional dots and have no problems at all. Low dot gain, excellent release and on top of all that I get double the life with these blankets. We have five Heidelberg's running these at the moment. Two 40" six colors, one 40" two color perfector, one 40" one color and one six color 20".

I have just tried the Meiji 9700A blankets on our shinohara 52, and am very disapointed..
I have had them on just for today, and have had to take them off, Waste of money that was..
The dot structure and dot gain with this blanket is apualing,, We could not get a clean screen, it was full of jagged edges and was actually the worst looking print I have seen out of all the blankets we have used..
To confirm it wasn't just the file it self I put on a job I had just printed on our old Printec blankets and with the Printec blanket's even the finest screen was open, but with the Meiji the same screens were completly filled in..

The only thing I noticed is that I could have my impression backed off a lot more, then the printec blankets..
One weird thing is the Meiji seem thincker then our other blankets even though they state there 1.96 ??
The reason for trying them was the Printec's pinhole after a while...

Kel or Toyo rep please elaborate on what is ment to be so great about them..

I am the National Product manager for Toyo Ink Australia, we use to sell the acura blankets into the market and found them to be a average blanket with OK quality.

Over the last year we have evaluated a lot of different blankets from around the world and found the Meiji 9700A blanket to be one of the best quality blankets on the market.

We have now been selling them in to the Australian market for the last 6 months and have had no problems and printers love them.

it's been my experience that you cant just swap a blanket and expect results. whats your procedure for swapping them out? just a straight swap? do you use a packing guage and change your blanket packing with each new blanket?

I have just tried the Meiji 9700A blankets on our shinohara 52, and am very disapointed..
I have had them on just for today, and have had to take them off, Waste of money that was..
The dot structure and dot gain with this blanket is apualing,, We could not get a clean screen, it was full of jagged edges and was actually the worst looking print I have seen out of all the blankets we have used..
To confirm it wasn't just the file it self I put on a job I had just printed on our old Printec blankets and with the Printec blanket's even the finest screen was open, but with the Meiji the same screens were completly filled in..

The only thing I noticed is that I could have my impression backed off a lot more, then the printec blankets..
One weird thing is the Meiji seem thincker then our other blankets even though they state there 1.96 ??
The reason for trying them was the Printec's pinhole after a while...

Kel or Toyo rep please elaborate on what is ment to be so great about them..

No packing guage,, they won't buy one..
We use new calibrated packing paper though each time the blanket is changed,, we have always run the same type and amount of packing paper no mater what blanket brand blanket..
Maybee the Meiji blanket isn't of the correct thickness but unless I can get my hands on a blanket gauge I will never know.

re Blanket Gauge

re Blanket Gauge

Hi Lukew, Did you check Blkt. thickness with a Soft Material Micrometer (Paper) ???

if not - why Not !! 2) are you running with the Blkt. at Cyl. Bearer Height or over ??

I ran Kinyo Blankets on a 16 pp Komori Web Press for over 5 years

Regards, Alois

I got a call from my heidelberg rep and they have all new blankets now. the pro blanket is said to be a next generation day 3000. anybody tried them yet. I just bought new blanket so I dont want to buy any to try yet.

By the time I was having a real sh===t fight with a certain job I was running out of time so I just switched back to our other blankets,, today I will try and get a mic reading, it won't be a digital micrometer though.
If they are such a good product then there thickness should be what is stated on the back of them
I have used Kinyo/fujikara/printec/day, and they have all worked with the 2 sheets of packing paper behind them.
So far the Printec are the best, but we do still get some pinholing after about 3 weeks...

Hi Lukew, Did you check Blkt. thickness with a Soft Material Micrometer (Paper) ???

if not - why Not !! 2) are you running with the Blkt. at Cyl. Bearer Height or over ??

I ran Kinyo Blankets on a 16 pp Komori Web Press for over 5 years

Regards, Alois

what do your two sheets amount to thickness wise?
i use Reeves Vulcan Reflection SR compressable 4ply blankets. i suggest you try them they are the best i have personally used to date and that includes heidi and day blankets .
as for a packing guage, any print house that claims they are high quality should have one. there are some good solid, yet great value gauges out there for very affordable prices.
ours is a Trupak and was only about $325. money very well spent.

By the time I was having a real sh===t fight with a certain job I was running out of time so I just switched back to our other blankets,, today I will try and get a mic reading, it won't be a digital micrometer though.
If they are such a good product then there thickness should be what is stated on the back of them
I have used Kinyo/fujikara/printec/day, and they have all worked with the 2 sheets of packing paper behind them.
So far the Printec are the best, but we do still get some pinholing after about 3 weeks...

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back