Customers complaining of chemical smell on printed pieces.

Vegetable oils will absorb oxygen from the air, which cross links in the vegetable oil to cause it to dry. When the vegetable oils cross link, they produce and emit VOCs. So even though the actual measured VOC content may be lower, it’s not uncommon to see a higher veggie oil content resulting in more VOC’s actually being emitted, hence the smell interestingly Black offset paste ink must have at least 40 percent soy oil content to qualify as a soy ink where in order for a heatset web offset lithographic ink to be considered a ‘soy ink,’ it must have 7 percent soy oil content.

Fundamentals

Fundamentals

Lukew,

The primary function of fountain solution is to maintain the hydrophilic nature of

the non-image areas i.e. Desensitization -- not enhance ink properties.

Regards, Alois

Lukew . . .

We use soy based inks only and have had some complaints from customers about a "chemically" smell on their final pieces. Has anyone else had these same complaints?

the original poster did not say that it stank/stunk they said a "chemically" smell on their final pieces . . . imho their customer might be overly sensitive to odors - I had a doctors appt a couple of days ago and they had a sign that asked the patients not to wear perfume or aftershave, etc so it would not offend their other patients and here on the left coast their are many fragrance free establishments and if you think your print shop doesn't have a "printers odor" in the air you have been there to long . . . you need to take a couple of weeks off and smell what fresh air smells like . .

just my 2 cents . . . :)

Lukew,

The primary function of fountain solution is to maintain the hydrophilic nature of

the non-image areas i.e. Desensitization -- not enhance ink properties.

Regards, Alois
Indeed that is one of the primary functions. A man of your smarts should know there are also other functions the fountain solution performs.
A fountain solution can enhance ink properties, the same as a poor quality fountain solution can hinder ink properties.

I always carefully select any service services. This also applies to print services. For the collaboration of printing books, I narrowed down the many offers and settled on this https://eurekaprinting.com.au/. I was attracted by their environmental responsibility. Their digital press production is water-free. Printed examples didn't produce an unpleasant smell. In addition, they provide regional delivery. And this is very convenient.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back