High Gloss Ink?

Tech

Hi All,
We looking at a printed book interior where the CTP files is simply straight up 4C. I do not see any spot color setup for SpotUV. So, is there such thing as "high gloss ink" for sheetfed press? More importantly, what advantage(s) does it have over SpotUV? If any? I'm trying to learn something new! :)

Thanks in advance!

there are 4 color ink sets available that make claims of higher gloss levels, however.... Its my feeling that the stock you print your images on will have more of an impact on the gloss levels than anything you will achieve out of the can. You could always create a file for a spot UV coating, or a spot varnish even where one doesn't exist, if your looking for maximum gloss.

+1 for printing on a gloss stock. Regular offset ink looks plenty glossy on gloss stock.

It is true that the substrate is 95% of your actual acquired gloss you can expect.

There are many 'gloss' series of inks in the marketplace. The most significant property of these inks are low tinctorial color strength. Lower pigmented inks result in more vehicle content which is the most important ingredient in gloss formation in the ink film. Beyond that, the selection of resin types, drying oils to thoroughly wet the pigment agglomerate and wax selection are the other main contributory factors.

Depending on what you are looking for, keep this mind. No ink series will provide as much gloss as an overprint varnish, or even more particular a UV coating, spot or flood. If it is contrast you are looking for in a print piece, I would recommend printing with you normal process series and overprint as mentioned for your best effect.

If it is just one job you are looking for you can actually do it yourself, I doubt you will find much technical help of meaningful purpose from your commercial ink supplier. The method would be to add 20-25% of hi gloss overprint varnish to each K-C-M-Y to run the job. Keep in mind that you will blow the dot out some, but for one job, you can adjust your keys to accommodate the reduced rheology. Also adding 5-6% of high body gloss press varnish can help, but not to the extent of the 20-25% addition of O.P. varnish. Hope this helps and gives you some better understanding.

D Ink Man

D Ink Man offers good advice, adding varnish to the ink will increase the gloss levels to an extent controlled by a bunch of variables, but increase it none the less. You may notice other benefits as well when you run inks with varnish added to them.

when i talk about higher gloss achieved from the substrate, its a given that you would want to use a gloss stock. The bigger point is that even among various gloss papers some have significantly higher gloss levels and holdout than others.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back