Normal Process Ink Density on PVC

D Ink Man

Key, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow normal reflective density targets. Close to coated targets? Please respond if experienced; polyvinyl chloride substrate (PVC).

D ink Man

Hi D ink Man .We run lots of plastic at standard coated densities .We calibrate to G7 standards at 200 lpi and have good success hitting our proofs .We run a lot of backlights and this has a different curve from all other plastics but still using g7 calibration .All plastic run with Black last curing yellow and if there are registrations issues we will turn lamps off in yellow.We run a -8% curve in our cyan due to stock color .We have gone from 10% UV jobs to about 50% with very good success.

regards
RJ

I would love to hear from anybody else with experience. We've just started studying this. D Man, I think you'll find this varies with inkset used and probably with the stock. PVC can vary greatly.

I've only been able to get a full chart on once. Freaking stock is $2 per sheet . . . anyway, we cannot achieve anything close to coated densities. I have data I'd be happy to share if anybody is interested. We came much closer to matching Gracol 2013 uncoated than anything else. However, there is a yellow portion of the spectrum which we couldn't match. The above applies to Komori LS640, 29mil pvc (cheap), inx plaslam inks, no coating or varnish, 200lpi kodak trillian plates.

Thanks Kannsasquaker. That is interesting because there is a print customer that is running Y-M-C-K in a wet trap rotation.
Didn't get the full information yet, but this seems an odd combination.
The yellow may be printing 1/D for exactly the reason you said, lack of achievement of the color gamut. I do know they are having problems with the C/M trap and am in the process of correcting that with ink formulation. Also suggested to swop the rotation to M/C. Updates can be presented as more information comes forward. Thanks, D Ink Man

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back