calcium build up.

joe stag

Does anyone have any ideas on how to reduce the amount of calcium pulled from the paper during printing. We recently started getting our paper from europe and while the paper quality is far better it comes with this new problem.

AFAIK there is no simple solution. The leaching out can be exacerbated by highly acidic or overly aggressive fountain solutions. So, you may want to talk to your fountain solution supplier. They may be able to provide you with a different formulation that might mitigate the problem.

In a perfect printing world,minimizing the amount of calcium pulled from the paper would be a pretty lofty goal. There are commercially available products that "claim" to do this but IMO don't work worth a damn. There are also products available that will keep the calcium in suspension within your fountain solution, helping to avoid build up on the plates or rollers. Lastly, there are fountain solution filtration systems that will filter out calcium along with other nasty stuff.
My best recommendation would be to use a 3 fold approach. 1. keep fountain solution as clean as possible with a good filtration system, and fountain additives that help keep the calcium in suspension as opposed to settling in rollers or on plate. 2. Make regular calcium rinses a "must do" part of your press maintenance schedule. 3. try to find grades of paper that don't get get their opacity, and whiteness from additives high in calcium carbonate. My guess is that you could achieve items 1 and 2 with a strong commitment to money well spent, and press maintenance. Item 3 will be harder because its really hard to resist the savings offered by a lower quality sheet that seems to use the whiteners I mentioned above.

Thank you. We do use a calcium rinse weekly but it would prob not hurt to use more. I will have to talk to our rep about the calcium suspension additives. Anything to help even some of the problem.

Minimize your ink and water settings to the absolute bare minimum. This is also the best method to lithograph anyway. Weekly press maintenence, of running warm, hot water along with white distilled vinegar or a good quality de-calcifying solution should alleviate any longer term issues such as roller stripping and perhaps others. I recommend Printers Service (PRISCO) if you decide to go with a commercially sold product. PRISCO has all the remedies, prescriptions and antidotes.

D Ink Man

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back