About paper grade

Dario

Here - t.co/hx4RnSJQQm - they say:
"The type of stock used to print the PANTONE solid color publications is as follows:
Coated - #1 grade 100 lb gloss text stock
Uncoated - premium grade 80 lb text stock. "

Could someone kindle explain me what do "#1 grade" and "premium grade" mean?

I found that "A paper's grade refers to how it reflects light. Magazines print on 3, 4 or 5 grade paper, which is often referred to as " bright," "extra bright" and "ultra," respectively"
...but I'd like to know more exactly.

Thank you all!

Here - t.co/hx4RnSJQQm - they say:
"The type of stock used to print the PANTONE solid color publications is as follows:
Coated - #1 grade 100 lb gloss text stock
Uncoated - premium grade 80 lb text stock. "

Could someone kindle explain me what do "#1 grade" and "premium grade" mean?

I found that "A paper's grade refers to how it reflects light. Magazines print on 3, 4 or 5 grade paper, which is often referred to as " bright," "extra bright" and "ultra," respectively"
...but I'd like to know more exactly.

Thank you all!

"#1 grade" and "premium grade" papers are technically meaningless terms. There are no published standards, specifications or trade customs in the paper industry. The assignment of a particular grade to a quality category and the establishment of sales policies are made by each paper mill based on its own internal evaluation of its products relative to those of its competitors. 

Other than calliper, whiteness and brightness, direct, objective, competitive comparisons between different papers virtually impossible. 

"#1 grade" and "premium grade" papers are technically meaningless terms. There are no published standards, specifications or trade customs in the paper industry. The assignment of a particular grade to a quality category and the establishment of sales policies are made by each paper mill based on its own internal evaluation of its products relative to those of its competitors. 

Other than calliper, whiteness and brightness, direct, objective, competitive comparisons between different papers virtually impossible. 

That's why I couldn't find any good answer so far!
:)
So to speak, how can I expect to perfectly print a Pantone ink if I don't know which paper (or better: which printing condition) I'm expected to use? I cannot!

We match colors to coated and uncoated with respected books gloss/ coated
uncoated / text true you will see slight differences due to brightness/ white off stock but you should still see the color match

That's why I couldn't find any good answer so far!
:)
So to speak, how can I expect to perfectly print a Pantone ink if I don't know which paper (or better: which printing condition) I'm expected to use? I cannot!

Dario . . . if you are expected to perfectly match a color on an unknown stock . . . good luck. You could always get the stock, give some to your ink supplier and have him match it - thats what they do.

But if you expect a "perfect" match . . . I doubt seriously that you will do it, after all we're only humans . . . and printers to boot. Make sure your customer is willing to accept a "close" match . . .

just my 2 cents

Dario . . . if you are expected to perfectly match a color on an unknown stock . . . good luck. You could always get the stock, give some to your ink supplier and have him match it - thats what they do.

But if you expect a "perfect" match . . . I doubt seriously that you will do it, after all we're only humans . . . and printers to boot. Make sure your customer is willing to accept a "close" match . . .

just my 2 cents

Make it a policy to never ever use the word "match" when talking about color (e.g. the press "matches" the proof or we can "match" that Pantone color) Instead say "align" - e.g. the presswork "aligns" to the proof.

just my 2 cents

I'm aligned to your thought too! If I just said 'to match' I also forgot to say 'DeltaE≤3'.
To "match" a color is always and everywhere an issue; simply I must teach it to sales guys!!
Thanks dabob for your 2 cents! :D

Anyway... Can you say something about these so called 'paper grades'?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back