Need help to achieve Pantone L a b values after matte lamination

shashijoshi

We have challenge to achieve PMS 2767 C (Navy blue) L a b values <Delta E 2 after matte lamination. Tried many different pigments and recipes but couldn't got success. Can I get suggestion to achieve best result?
Thanks,

what software are you using?

I use onyx, it has a feature called swatch books.
You tell it what colour you want to match, it'll make a grid with the original colour and +5 chroma each patch (as many as you like) and +5 lightness each patch as many as you like. you can fine tune to plus 1 if you want.

You'd use a spectro to measure them all and get your delta E. Obviously you'd measure AFTER laminating.

We have challenge to achieve PMS 2767 C (Navy blue) L a b values <Delta E 2 after matte lamination. Tried many different pigments and recipes but couldn't got success. Can I get suggestion to achieve best result?
Thanks,

Have you tried offering a discount to accept the match you've achieved?

Seriously, if by "different pigments" you mean using an ink other than 072 blue (e.g. Pantone Dark Blue from the Goe system) which may be less reactive to the heat from lamination, then you've done what you can. BTW, in my PMS book 2757 c isn't navy blue it's nearly black (maybe it's just an old book)

Last edited:
The Matte lamination will always knock back any color that's already printed, that's what it does. How can you adjust for this? You can't change the KCMY inks to compensate for it, why would you change the Pantone colors? It's also why Pantone has seperate books for Coated, Matte, and Uncoated stocks.

More than that. Lamination can cause some PMS colors to dramatically shift in hue. That's why one should always ask the ink vendor if that is a possibility with the ink you've chosen and/or test before using so that expectations are set correctly.

Just saw this one. Challenge the challenger to printing a double impression. 30%-40% screen value 1st down and solid second down. Just a guideline, that can be achieved in a good recipe ink laboratory (static) if agreed compromise. Wet and dry trap will make an enormous difference so the capability and willingness of the challenger to dedicate two units for a single pass is paramount (dynamic). Challenge them sir, because the expectations you have presented are minimal at best to achieve for that heavy filmed, dark color and a L*a*b match is at best chancy after matte lamination.

D

I worked for a company that had a couple of offline film laminators. I would often ask the operator to take a freshly printed sheet and run it through his machine just to get a little preview. Of course with a color as you mentioned it would be doubly problematic because of the way a color with a high reflex blue content dries. In this case I would suggest an imitation reflex blue in place of the Pantone 072

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back