US to European paper weights

Hi everyone... I have a quick (hopefully) question. I have a US based client looking to print a magazine. The cover stock is listed as 130# #3 cover - but when I look at the conversion tables I generally use this is listed as being 352gsm - which is a thick card - something like we might use for a business card or similar... am I right, or am I missing something...? And if anyone can point me in the right direction for a reliable (preferably online) conversion table that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

You are looking at it correctly. I used Tango 122# Cover for our business cards, and I think it comes in at around 330gsm. Im not sure why people think these thick cover papers look good. I generally don't recommend anything over 100#

Thanks for the reply - I just needed to check - we wouldn't normally recommend anything over 200gsm or so for a magazine cover, but if that's what the client wants......

You are absolutely right - it comes down to trends and fashion... a little like the regular switching in markets from gloss to matt and back again. Or everyone suddenly using spot UV to create a texture on their corporate report covers!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back