Mixing CMYK Inks

mazengh

Hi everyone,

I was wandering if there is a guide or software for mixing CMYK and White inks to produce inks close to some pantone colors.

If someone has any information about this, could you please share it?

As I know, you could try Xrite Ink Formulation System (Software from Xrite + Spectrometer + IGT device).

Hi everyone,

I was wandering if there is a guide or software for mixing CMYK and White inks to produce inks close to some pantone colors.

If someone has any information about this, could you please share it?

The recipes for mixing CMYK (and White) are in your Pantone Formula Guide. If the Color you want is, according to the Guide, not made up of those process colors then the best you'll achieve is a rough approximation whatever method you use to create your recipes.

NONE of the cmyk inks used for printing 4 color process, are part of the formula for mixing any spot PMS colors. Process black could be substituted for PMS black in a pinch with the understanding that the process black will lack the neutrality of the PMS mixing black. Process black usually has a reflex blue like component, to add a bit of density to type and black halftones. If your printing a 4 color job, with many black halftones, where your looking for an older style neutrality, such as in black and white photography books, sometimes PMS black will get you where you want to be. Cyan is close in hue to PMS process blue, although with not as much strength. Magenta usually has a strong rhodamine red component but interchangeability is something I would caution. Process yellow is pretty close to PMS yellow, and would probably be the most interchangeable mainly because of the humans eyes weakness in the perception of yellows.
It would go without saying, that if you were to use any of the mixing inks when printing 4 color process there may be tack adjustments required.
As far as using 4c process inks mixed together I know of no standardized formulas or mixing guides.
Dinkman would be a better source of information on this topic.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back