WATER MARK Printing in OFFSET

I got some suppliers who can supply Wet Offset inks, those are T&K Toka, Luminiscence, FX Pigments and many more. All are offering Wet Offset inks and printing is like conventional process. We tried one of the suppliers Wet Offset ink. When cleaned the unit thoroughly and applied the watermark ink. But when we printed it is showing like it was dried on the paper before penetrating into the paper. For the test purpose we applied ink directly onto the paper, then the ink penetrated into the paper and showing like watermark patch. But when we are printing with the ink that result is not coming. I observed the ink is drying before penetrates into the paper. We also tried without drier / hot air but the result is same. Any one can suggest what was the problem behind this.

The offset department of the company I work for do a lot of watermark printing. They have just finished 200,000 sheets for Mercedes Benz.
The ink is made by Luminescence product code 1715KFD, its printed on the back of the sheet in reverse.
I remember being told by management that we have to have a license for it as it can be used to forge documents etc.

Dear hojoclan, Thank you for your post. We tried with wet offset watermark ink but couldn't get the result in conventional offset printing. It its showing dried the ink on paper before penetrating into the paper. Could you please let me know the process

Hi ponnapatil123

I've just spoke to the printer that did the last job and asked him, he said to run it like any normal ink, print a few and hang it on the window for 20 minutes to see what it looks like, take care not to over ink it as it can start to emulsify. Also paper stock is important as some papers don't take the ink as well as others and you start to loose the effect once you go over 100gsm, on some stock you can go to 120gsm. Get your rollers spotless.
The first client we used this ink for was Baker Tilly and the litho manager at the time spent a lot of work getting it just right as they were very fussy.

Last edited:
Thanks Mr. Hojoclan. As I said we tried using the wet watermark offset ink as per normal procedure for printing. But I don't know ink density less or some other factors the clear ink looks like yellow shade. Then we tried in screen printing using 180 LPI screen, when we printed on the 80 GSM uncoated paepr the ink was clear and within few minutes ink is penetrated into the paper start showing like watermark effect. But the same ink when we applied in wet offset that result is not coming. In wet offset ink is completely drying on paper surface even we didn't use the drier or IR lamp.

I wonder if you could get a watermark effect by a clever use of ghosting? You know that irritant that all good printers try to avoid like the plague.

Hello ponnapati123

I suggest you print this "Fake Water Mark" by Letterpress, which gives greater Impression Force, allowing the Ink Vechicle to penetrate into the paper fibres.

Regards, Alois

1) Letterpress Inking I. F.T is 2/3 than Offset Litho Ink at normal S.I. D.

2) Screen Printing I. F. T is 5/6 than --- "-------

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back