UV Coating

halmac

Why is my UV coating fluid turning Brownish in the tank? Is it being contaminated? Oxidation? I am finishing sheets printed exclusively on a Konica Minolta 1060C.

Probably not oxidation, however the product's ingredients could be slowly reacting. Is your tank Stainless Steel, or non-metallic, if not perhaps reacting with sidewalls of tank.

Have you asked your UV coatings vendor...have them check their retained sample from the batch to see if it's happening there as well.

Exposure to light (enough to cause slow curing to begin) could contribute. Does the coating when applied to the print look different then previously run jobs. The slight discoloration in the tank may disappear when actually run.

Thanks HRoss. The tanks are stainless steel. The vendor thinks the problem is the roller needed to be sanded down and possibly in the future resurfaced. I tried that and it seems to be working better. I certainly have a better finish.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back