XL105 Ink

I read about this press a while back and think it really is the way forward. As mentioned registration is handled in the same way as heatset webs so no problems there. Other advantages are that because you're buying reels of paper and not sheets you're saving money on the mills cutting it for you and you can also run a much thinner substrate that you can on sheetfed presses as you have no feeder. I would also imagine this is only a 2 man operation as well. Inks pump fed, so just an assistant to change reels and offer a helping hand. Also as the press doesn't need a dryer/oven no need for mains gas supply or planning permission for an afterburner. I'd love the chance to have a go on one of these but they've not been out long so a bit of a rarety.

p.s. no I don't work for Goss lol

Probably the same way the heatset M600 registers. It's really a web press with a sheeter, and they replaced the dryer with an anti setoff unit. Very interesting indeed.

Bret

Having a sheeter on a web press is not new. There was even one on a commercial newspaper press in about 1865. It ran at 12,000 sheets per hour with later versions running at 30,000. It printed on both sides and folded the sheet.

The Goss idea may be interesting but is limited. What really has possibilities is the variable print repeat length presses with a sheeter. That would do what sheetfeds do now. Produce print sheets of different lengths. Goss's concept can not run different print repeat lengths.

Drent-Goebel's VSOP press concept, which it has unfortunately sold to Muller Martini, due to D-G's bankruptcy, could change its repeat length in minutes by means of interchangeable sleeves for the plate and blanket. With a speed of 500 meters per minute, it would be able to put out a lot of print. D-G had the concept of having a sheeter on its VSOP press with the aim of replacing sheetfed presses, written up in their house magazine about five years ago.

I think it is the future. There are so many advantages to having a web press. Even the digital presses are going to webs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Herbert,

It's definitely worth trying a couple of different ink sets, all the major manufacturers make good and not so good sets depending on your needs. As mentioned in other posts, the Saphira inks are from Flint, which we used to hold in high regard but found that some of their sets suffered a while back when their product names were "updated" to include words such as Supreme. Flint do still make some good ink sets, but unfortunately you can't tell what you're getting when there's a Saphira label slapped on the front.
With regards to Sun Chemical inks, their Diamond set is quite basic; you should look at something like Exact.
We have been very impressed with the performance of the Stehlin inks and these are now our go to inks, so these are definitely worth a try.

Hi All

We have just purchased a Heidlelberg XL105 and are torn between two ink vendors.

Heidlelberg are insistant we must use their ink to acheive the 18000 sheet per hr and get better general performamnce. We as a company are wanting to use Sun Chemical 'Diamond' Inks, but Heidelberg state we will not get the required performance from the new press if dont use their ink.

Any information would be of great help.

Go with the ink company that provides boots on ground service. That is an experienced and highly qualified technician that understands your press room and their ink products.

There is no replacement for this. You may find that the technician you are working with cannot give you the results and ink you are looking for. Suggestion is to move on to the next ink supplier. Good techs that provide excellent service and meaningful results are difficult to find nowadays. Keep looking, you will find one. Sometimes you have to turn that stone over. D

<---- obvious vested interest here! but I can tell you in this part of the world (Australia) the Diamond inks work just fine on XL105s. Heidelberg only onsell inks, at the moment in Australia its K&E and Toyo, they will have inks that work, but so do we inkmakers...who are the ones making it for them anyway!

Look at your total package, what kind of tech service will you get from either supplier, as well as price and performance. Good luck!

lol let me clarify that, they source K&E from europe and they source toyo locally...not suggesting they are the same at all!! far from it. The point is, Heidelberg can and do source product from anywhere!

I was told toyo for PMS, but they wouldnt say for the CMYK
chemwatch lists them as flint/K+E for cmyk

Interesting Saphira has hit the marketplace with super low prices.
Guessing this doesn't sit well with other manufacturers.
Low ball prices are no good for the industry. Take one look at the amount of print firms that undercut everyone around them killing their opposition then went bust themselves as their practices became unsustainable.
Saphira coming from such a large multinational won't go bust, but they'll do a damn good job of killing off small independent suppliers

When Saphira changes the ink manufacturer they use, do they make the customer aware, or wait & hope they don't suspect a change.

DIC, your PMS colours do you offer more then one type? I know NPS is your full veg.

Last edited:
Luke, the NPS is our stock standard PMS system, it is 100 % veg oil. We have a couple of other ranges for specialty applications like IML and metallised papers etc.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back