XL105 Ink

herbert

Hi All

We have just purchased a Heidlelberg XL105 and are torn between two ink vendors.

Heidlelberg are insistant we must use their ink to acheive the 18000 sheet per hr and get better general performamnce. We as a company are wanting to use Sun Chemical 'Diamond' Inks, but Heidelberg state we will not get the required performance from the new press if dont use their ink.

Any information would be of great help.

heidi will tell you anything to get you to use thier products. use whatever ink you want. i'm sure there are plenty of companies out there NOT using thier saphira stuff and getting great results at 18,000.

Run a test with both inks and do the cost evaluation. Like Albert said Heidi will tell you anything to sell you more crap like any other company...

I think the cat's out of the bag. After all, where is Heidelberg's ink company located? I'm sure it's good ink, carefully chosen before they put their name on it. Same with blankets. It's the old DuPont vertical marketing gambit. Look at it this way though, if the ink doesn't perform well on the press, it's their problem, from both directions, and there are fewer fingers to point. It might just be worth trying it for a while. You can be sure that the ink meets offset printing standards for color and tone reproduction,(ISO2846, ISO12647) at least European offset standards, and the last I looked, that was pretty good printing.

John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

I was in georgia at Heidelberg doing a demo on the XL, They had Toyo and superior inks on all thier presses. Some ink companies ink aren't rated for high speeds. I know that Toyo Hyplus 100 is rated for 20,000 IPH.

I was in georgia at Heidelberg doing a demo on the XL, They had Toyo and superior inks on all thier presses. Some ink companies ink aren't rated for high speeds. I know that Toyo Hyplus 100 is rated for 20,000 IPH.

You know damn well Heidelberg can't handle 20,000 an hour. I bet the press your on "can't handle 15" ;)

Isn't their ink Kohl & Madden?

What does Sun say, I'm sure they want to sell you ink, do they say they have one for an XL running at 15,000?

Ask Heidelberg for the MSDS sheets on the ink. The manufacturer's name will be on it.

All oem products are supposed to have an MSDS provided by the manufacturer.

They also should have a Chemtrec number.

Last edited:
Actually, the private branded Saphira Printing ink used to be Kohl & Madden. 6 months ago it was "secretly" changed to the Superior Printing Ink Brand from the United States ;-)

heidi will tell you anything to get you to use thier products. use whatever ink you want. i'm sure there are plenty of companies out there NOT using thier saphira stuff and getting great results at 18,000.

you need to be more than sure for such a serious issue,we have not found another ink that performs aswell as the heidelberg ink,its not a case of them trying to sell it,its a fact that it works.sometimes when using a special colour from another ink company i have had to slow the press down becauses the ink cant handle 18000IPH when other wise doing just 4col saphira it would run all day at 18000.

Aronon process inks have run on the XL105. If you are looking for cheap ink, this is the ink for you. It stays open very well, but you must aqueous coat. Poor rub proporties are inherent. Blinding issues with the magenta with certain chemistries. It is a very consistent ink and is not manufactured in the US. No service to back the product.

Last edited:
D Ink Man, I think SpeedKing was referring to the Heidelberg Inks not the Korean Aronon Inks. I have seen these run on several XL105's at my friends shop in Parsippany NJ. They had some misting issues with their original supplier when running above 15,000 iph. The Heidelberg inks solved the problem and run great.

Heidelberg ink all the way,we trialled some stehlin hostag a great ink on a 102 but at 18000 on our XL it just went every where,flicking out the guards on to the plates in situ.

With Heidelberg and inks, it's like a box of chocolates. You just don't know what you're getting. All resales.

Last edited:
Being an old inky I am sure that Heidelberg has formulated their product to be best suited ... But Sun or
Sakata or whom ever should be able to formulate an ink that performs .We have an in house manufacturer and I am sure they would argue that they could not match the properties.

Im on a XL 105 pefector using superior ink running at 15000. We have no printing issues with it. But we are slinging alot on the barriers.

In Europe, the Heidelberg inks are relabelled Flint tins. I've heard many complaints about slow drying times when used on perfector presses however.

Personally i'd recommend Epple inks which are available in the UK through a distributor but otherwise a second choice would be Sun Chemicals Exact PSO set.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back