A little help and advice please

Eggy

Does anyone have any helpful advice in how to market Scented inks from a newspaper perspective? How would you go about selling the concept of scented inks to an advertiser?
Any experiences you may will be gratefully received

Many thanks!

How about Newspapers that Smell like Inks !

How about Newspapers that Smell like Inks !

Great idea for the remaining daily publishers that remain. Hmmm,interesting concept. Better than the smell of the electricity burning in the background from your computer and the internet connection. Think about that. And besides, hard to balance that laptop on your thighs while pincihng that morning loaf.

Does anyone have any helpful advice in how to market Scented inks from a newspaper perspective? How would you go about selling the concept of scented inks to an advertiser?

Since this idea has been tried before (e.g. Smell Mr. Magorium in the L.A. Times - ComingSoon.net ) you might try and find out what the market response/effectiveness was when it was used and use that information to sell (or forget) the idea.

best, gordon p

Last edited:
I have some experience with scented ink. One of the problems is with most inks, as soon as full curing takes place, the scent is gone. News ink may have a very good chance as the non-drying aspect would keep the scent in suspension. In manufacturing however, the concentrated liquids can be overwhelming during the weighing/mixing/milling process. Micro-encapsulated (scratch & sniff) is an alternative, but the only company doing it a few years back, Epple in Europe, is not here any more. Most scratch & sniff is done silkscreen as the capsules are too big and too fragile for litho printing. I personally think more people than not would dislike it. In my experience everyone wished we had never tried it.

Try Scentisphere, even though your efforts I believe will be in vain for the newspaper industry. Good Luck!

Thanks all for your replies, I somehow think it might be just a gimmick for newspapers as well, but hey, it might be a way of attracting new customers initially and then getting them to place a regular advert in the paper!

Scented News Ink

Scented News Ink

Hi Eggy, We tried this several times and have found that it is one very quick way to empty a press room. It sound a good idea in theory but practice proves different. From experience the scents annoys everyone from the ink manufacturer (that's my people) to the printer and reader. The whole factory quickly smells and the number of people that complain of itchy eyes/runny nose is incredible.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back