Waterless Printing and going Green

jlind

I have a feeling I know the answer to this question, BUT, can anyone share their experiences moving toward waterless printing as an eco savvy solution? I think the printers in Scandinavia were pushing this a few years ago. Did it take hold and succeed? Is anyone printing waterless who isn't running a DI press? No choice there, and the only market I'm aware of for waterless ink. A recent WTT post talked about a printer running waterless UV presses, but no one admitted it when I asked the question in the CTP section. Probably marketing hype, I'm from Missouri, show me. Looking for some comments and opinions, please.

John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

Re: Waterless Printing and going Green

John,

Have you been to www.waterless.org? There is some good information there. One great eco-friendly advantage is the waterless printer can run water washable inks. No more wash up solvent VOCs!

Peter:
Thanks for the comment. I have heard even less about water washable waterless ink than waterless ink. How many printers are using that, do you think? Seems like there would be a buzz in the industry if that technology was succeeding.
I'll check out the website. Thanks for the dialogue.
John Lind

John,

We at Toray have many customers running waterless on many different presses from CD/DVD to 40"+ sheetfed and web presses, with oil & UV based waterless inks.
The water washable inks (as far as we know for the US market) are still under development, but at the IGAS show in Japan during October 2007 there were presentations made from DIC & Toray on water washable zero VOC waterless printing inks for the far east market.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Eric Friedman
No. American Sales Manager
Toray International America, Inc.
843 693 7949
[email protected]

I know of a company using it, they do well, but it takes a lot of control. You need to be constantly checking your press, whereas standard printing you just crank it up and go. On the other side of going green, we use only 1%-2% alcohol mixture and a solution called hydrowash, if setup by the proper technician it runs like a dream, the ink dries quicker and you are using less solvents, this mix can also be used to run alco free.

Max:
Is hydrowash a fountain solution, and if so, what brand? Why use any alcohol at all?
John Lind

Hi Sam,

How is the Gravuflow inking system doing in the market place in general? When I first learned of it on the 74 Karat, I thought this new inking system would take the market by storm. But this has not happened as far as I can see.

Al

Maybe i will change a way of this discusion but i have one "waterless" question.

I have QM DI waterless press.
Somewhere i heard (or read) that waterless presses can be easy used for printing on plastic or even on textil? Is it really that easy and possible? What inks must be used?
I heard that presses with dampening have problems with drying ink on these supstrates (i never try print on it).
Any idea what i can do with it?

Davor Smokovic

Davor:
I have seen the DI print successfully on PVC (credit cards), polyester, Teslin (polypropylene). Waterless is good for plastic, not as good as UV, but less temperature stress on the plastic. You need to ask for Hard Dry inks, formulated for the plastic. Have not tried on fabric. Do some tests. How would you feed it? Fabric textured canvas book covers should work.
John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

Thanks John.
You give me good idea (plastic book covers).
I will try to contact SunChemicals (now using Hartmann IRO Dry).

Davor

Hi Davor,

What High Dry Inks are you using with waterless?

Rgds
Emilio

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back