#1 Solving cracking over scores with digital printing for packaging applications

vectravisual

Hi everyone, I am new to this site as well as the digital printing industry. My background is in corrugate flexo BTW. The current company I work for has a Fujifilm Inca Onset X1 digital press as well as a Vutek HS100 pro. When they have ran sheet-fed items on let's say 50 point stock they have had issues with the print cracking when scoring. This occurs when the sheets are brought over to Zund or Kongsberg cutting tables that they use. I will research on this site for tips on how to resolve the situation with scores cracking but can anyone here point me in a useful direction please?

I believe we would have the option what sort of coating or over-laminate would we need?

I'm reading now about scoring vs. creasing and understand the difference. Since the Zund's have a scoring wheel it'll break the surface of the paper and ink then it'll crack the ink. I think I heard somewhere about a sheet that is placed underneath a sheet to be scored on a cutting table. This sheet would have recessed channels in it where the score would be on the sheet above it. Have you ever heard of anything along these lines?

This is just brainstorming on my end, I haven't done any scoring in years so others here may have more practical advice. That said, I'd try samples with either varnish/UV coating or whatever type of overlaminate you have that matches the look you need (gloss, semi or matte). My thought is that anything that will help hold the toner in position is worth a try :)

We have found film lamination to greatly help in most situations, but you still need the best quality, and WIDEST, score possible when you get above 30pt.
50pt is a challenge to score without cracking under even ideal circumstances with a high-end Bobst diecutter and conventional die+matrix, so if you are going to be successful, my opinion is that film lamination is a requirement.

BOPP (Biaxially-Oriented Polypropylene) in standard 1.3mil thickness is a very economical and effective strategy. BOPP has a little more stretch to it than many other films, and it is one of the least expensive. So, while you are adding critical anti-cracking crack-preventing-film, you can maximize the appearance of the item by using high gloss, ultra matte, or even soft touch. But gloss is the cheapest.

Hi everyone, I am new to this site as well as the digital printing industry. My background is in corrugate flexo BTW. The current company I work for has a Fujifilm Inca Onset X1 digital press as well as a Vutek HS100 pro. When they have ran sheet-fed items on let's say 50 point stock they have had issues with the print cracking when scoring. This occurs when the sheets are brought over to Zund or Kongsberg cutting tables that they use. I will research on this site for tips on how to resolve the situation with scores cracking but can anyone here point me in a useful direction please?

Is this execution for pop-up displays?

Switch stock . We use Invercote, we print on the Fuji Acuity flatbed, and score on the Zund table with the scoring wheel, and the image or the paper doesn't crack.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back