Drip off process and equipment

mulo_g

One of my clients is asking for a spot UV and Drip off coating with a fine texture on a package box. I can outsource spot uv. However, I don't have source for Drip off.
I am not aware of the process for the Drip off and am a newbie for Drip off. Can anyone help me by telling what is the process? and minimum equipment requirements? We outsource offset printing. This job is 3000 nos. It may repeat. Therefore, we may consider inhouse equipment. And, can we change pattern of Drip off? What are change parts?​

If I right understood, you are talking about inline drip-off application in a sheetfed offset machine (Heidelberg, KBA, Roland,...), you will need a machine equipped with at least 5 printing unit and 1 coating unit (chambered blade system) at the end of the machine.
Because you need the last printing unit and coating unit combined to make drip-off effect.
Drip off effect can be conventional (oil based ink + waterbase coating) or UV (UV drip off ink + UV coating). UV effect is stronger than conventional, you need to see the sample before make decision.
Regards,
DeltaE

Thanks DeltaE. We are looking for offline equipment i.e not a part of or attached to an offset.
How is drip off achieved? To achieve a different texture what changes are needed in an offline machine. I am a newbie.

Drip off is a Lithographic process. Generally it is used to achieve a spot gloss affect on an offset press, similar to a spot UV although not as dramatic, to avoid another process. Having a Spot UV and a dripoff is either unnecessary or your client really is particular in what they what and hopefully are prepared to pay for it.

Lithocrafter, it is becoming clearer to me now though not fully.
Once I got dripoff and uv done with a coating guy on covers, not on offset.
He has screen printing type uv unit where he screen prints uv inks and passes through uv curing tunnel.
I had supplied him offset printed, matte BOPP laminated covers. Effect he gave was like droplets and the logo was done uv on!

I am starting to wonder if he actually did uv (not so called dripoff) by screen printing droplets?

Thanks everyone. I seem to have understood dripoff somewhat.

Now, anyone with any feedback whether drip off can be done on a screen printing equipment alongwith coating and uv tunnel?
​​​​​​

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back