Package printing with Solids and UV Coating having cracking issues

rking

Anyone know of the best way to prevent cracking on the scores of a carton, when printing darker solids and UV coating? No cracking on the correct fold, just when it's back folding. Occasionally, we get a bit of chipping on the cut/trim edge as well. This happens on SBS & polyboard. We cure it well enough to set on the inks and coating to make sure that we don't over cure and cause it to be brittle. We do tape test for adhesion as well. KBA 41" board press. AMS UV lamp system. Thoughts?

In my opinion, there are two types of cracking:
- Ink and coating layer coating, that means you can see the ink and coating layer cracked but the underneath paper layer remains un-damaged --> consult with your ink and coating supplier for suitable consumable.
- Paper layer: you can see the paper layer is also cracked --> check the related huminity in the pressroom, paper before and after printing and processing.

Regards,
DeltaE

The notes from DeltaE are worth evaluating. I would score and fold the sheet at 90 degrees, if the same cracking occurs, then your dealing with a brittle combination of ink & coating. If not you are seeing an issue of the fibers in machine direction vs cross direction. Ink & coating film thickness can play a part in this as well. Your attempts to minimize overcure are more challenging then you think. I would speak with your vendor to determine if there is a more forgiving coating that still provides the protection and appearance you require. UV coatings are my business, so if I can help in any way, please don't hesitate to reach out. Good luck.

I often encountered damage to the cardboard (cardboard box) when sending parcels to relatives. At first, I had to buy other, more durable cardboard boxes (I bought multi-layer boxes). Then, for reinsurance, I began to use several boxes when packing the parcel. Then she began to deal with the problem, reading articles on the Internet and came across a site https://allinpackaging.co.uk/transport-packaging/cardboard-box/ where you can buy strong cardboard boxes, besides wholesale. Maybe it all depended on the material of the box, but finally I managed to send the parcel the first time. So I advise you to go to this site.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back