Challenge MC-305 backstop coming out of square.

lantz_xvx

Hey all,

I've got this Challenge MC-305 hydraulic cutter, and it's pretty great, except that the backstop keeps coming out of square which makes it all but useless. I can literally skew the backstop with my hands, and even if I set it back to where it is, the force of the machine as it's cutting will move it unknowingly. It's slight, but it makes all my cuts crooked.

Every bolt that I can find is tight. It was missing one on the side that is most likely to come out of square, so I got a replacement and made it super tight, but that didn't solve the problem. The manual says absolutely nothing about which bolt does what and how to adjust / square the backstop. I've got a pile of paper to cut that will take no time at all, IF I can solve this problem and the cutter is reliable. Otherwise, I'm pretty much ruined (not to be dramatic!).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

- Lantz

Disregard, I just figured it out! The light is sort of bad on the rear side of the cutter, and I didn't realize that the two small bolts with locknuts can be adjusted in or out to hold the backstop in place once you get it leveled out. They were backed way the hell out, which is why I could freely skew the backstop with my hands. I tightened them down after leveling, tightened down the locknuts, and now it's a hundred times better. Still not 100%, but at about 98% at least which is better than the way it was. Why it was delivered like that, I'll never know.

The proper way to check square and set it is to cut a stack on one side of the cutter. Then move the stack to the opposite side and cycle the blade. It should just skim the stack on the second cut. Move the backage forward and repeat the process starting on the opposite side of the cutter. Adjust the lock blots until you get exactly the same skim on both sides of the cutter. Make adjustment repeat test on both sides of the machine until you get acceptable results. Lock adjustments in. Make sure you use a jogging block to jog stock, don't slam the stacks against the backage.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back