Baum 714 questions.

AP90

I'm starting up a shop and am looking to buy a folder. I have found a used Baum 714 folder for a good price and also includes perforating and scoring. But it is friction feed. I have read on here that friction feed is bad and to stay away. Can you explain why? Also, is the perf and scoring with the add ins any good with this machine? And lastly, do they require much maintenance? I saw there are plenty of rebuild kits and that a bunch of people seem to use them and love them. I don't feel Id be going wrong on this except for the friction feed and if they are money pits. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

I'm starting up a shop and am looking to buy a folder. I have found a used Baum 714 folder for a good price and also includes perforating and scoring. But it is friction feed. I have read on here that friction feed is bad and to stay away. Can you explain why? Also, is the perf and scoring with the add ins any good with this machine? And lastly, do they require much maintenance? I saw there are plenty of rebuild kits and that a bunch of people seem to use them and love them. I don't feel Id be going wrong on this except for the friction feed and if they are money pits. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

A friction feeder will mark coated stock. It is only good for offset.

The Baum 714XLT now has an air feeder.

Please call me at 877-Bindery or e-mail me at:

Truly yours,

David Spiel
Spiel Associates, Inc.
[email protected]

A Baum 714 anything is a table top folder and therefore it feeds from the bottom of the stack, meaning the pile can't be too heavy or it doesn't work at all. Because of this, you can only run short lifts and have to stand there and constantly reload the hopper. There's also no option for a right angle attachment, so you're limited in how many folds you can actually do.

With a floor model folder, it feeds from the top of the stack and you can load a lift of paper all the way to the floor. Once started, you can go to the other end and stay there, unloading, jogging, and boxing the finished folded product. You also have a right angle attachment option and there's more folding gates on floor models as well.

It all depends on how much folding you intend to do, but the floor model is far more productive and versatile than the tabletop model.

The creasing, scoring, and perforating attachments on the delivery end of all folders are very similar in how they work, no matter what type of machine it is. They're adequate for many applications, but because they're rotary in design, in some ways they can't compare to Letterpress work.

Thanks for the reply. I do not need something as big as a floor model. A table top is fine for what I need. I do not anticipate doing a lot of folding, but enough where I'll need a machine. I guess my main concern is the friction feed. Will it cause problems for the digital print like mentioned? Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I do not need something as big as a floor model. A table top is fine for what I need. I do not anticipate doing a lot of folding, but enough where I'll need a machine. I guess my main concern is the friction feed. Will it cause problems for the digital print like mentioned? Thanks

The Baum 714XLT can add a right angle.

Truly yours,

David Spiel
Spiel Associates, Inc.
[email protected]

Short answer, yes it will likely cause problems mostly Smudging/ marking the sheets as they feed.
There are too many older units on the market that were retrofitted with air to even consider using Friction feed in a production environment.

IF your still looking I have nice air fed Baum 714 with newer rollers and a perf/score attachment. We are located in Minnesota.
Thanks
Alex 507 523 2809

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back