Calendar Printing

mikelc2

I have a question about calendar printing. I want to be able to offer two types of calendars, well calendars and desk calendars.

The saddle-stitched wall calendar is relatively straight forward, many many adjustments I've found are needed to deal with creep and front to back registration, but I'm slowly working through that. Any practical advice would be helpful!

For the desk calendars, this is completely new to me. The printing is straight forward as it is bound instead of folded, however the easel seems to be giving me trouble. What weight of paper do you typically use? Do you reinforce the stock with anything? Do you use wire-o binding or plastic coil? Online I typically see wire-o but plastic coil is so much more affordable!

Either way, any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Saddle-stitched Wall Calendar and creep, now I sure would like to hear some thoughts on that. Your hanging it flat on the wall why would you worry about creep or face trimming it. Pages sticking out when it is laying folded or pages sticking out when it is hanging on the wall, you can't have it both ways?

Hi we manufacture calendars and use a 450 micron board for the easel, 170gsm paper prints & wirobound. I dont think I have ever seen calendars using plastic coil binding. I understand what you mean about creep etc as I guess your doing folded in half stitched in the middle calendar 'books' have you not thought about wall calendars without folding so they are punched and wired the same as your desk ones? filing that indesign has some automatic creep settings if you search the help on the adobe forum.

Thanks for the feedback.

The reason I was going primarily with saddle stitched books is they required significantly less labour to put together. I am not at the point yet where I a wire binding machine that is fully automatic! So expensive!

Some of the calendars I was doing I ended up going with wire-o -- it gave them a nice professional look but it did take forever to put together. I was trimming was really quick but the punching and binding took forever.

Desk calendars I'm working on my processes but I seem to have it down finally. I have lots to learn apparently!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back