Book edge coloring

mulo_g

I have to do coloring of book edges for 500 quantity. Size A5, thickness 12 mm. I have never done it before. Can anyone guide me which type or size of air brush I need. Also, dye type and clamps required. Thanks

Last edited:
I was at a printing company one day and I saw them color book edges like this. They took a fountain solution tray and poured a small amount of Roller wash into it, They took a small dab of different color offset inks and mixed them into the tray and the ink would float on the surface and than dip the book edge just onto the surface of the edge and it would show on the stack of page edges only. Try it on a piece of paper.

We used to do this in our plant many years ago. The process used created a lot of odor in the plant and was somewhat toxic. We discontinued providing edge staining as it was called.

Here is a DIY instructional paper with all directions. Gilding is at the beginning and staining specifically starts on page 14 but you will most likely want to read the entire process.

If the link takes you to the main website then click on the "Techniques & Processes" link in the top menu bar and then the PDF link for Edge Gilding.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back