Mailing addresser

We're looking to bring some of our mailing inhouse. Specifically, postcards that are printed on 14 pt coated stock, sometimes with aqueous. Any suggestions on what machines we should look at? Also, will we need dryers or anything else?

I'm not sure I understand your question, but, from the title of your post "Mailing addresser", it sounds like all you're looking for is a machine that will print the name, address, city, state,zip, bar code, etc. in black & white on the addressee side of a pre-printed post card. Is that correct?

If so, the question becomes "in what volume and, at what speed"?

If you're talking runs of very small volumes (200 - 500) it can be done with any desk top monochrome laser, or, even a desk top ink jet (Rena, Buskro, etc.). If you're talking large volumes with high speed, you'll need something that has an "ink jet base" with a high speed feeder and an output conveyor (Kirk-Rudy, MCS, Cheshire, Buskro, VideoJet, etc.)

As to what type of surfaces it will print on and whether or not you'll need dryers, that is a function of the ink type you will be using on the ink jet. Ink Jet ink manufacturers (Collins, HP, etc.) have a "fast-drying" version of their inks specifically for use on low to medium aqueous surfaces. If it is "high gloss" (high aqueous, laminate, varnish, etc.) you will need a dryer on your ink jet as well as the fast drying ink.

Thanks Mail Guru. Yes, I meant an inkjet addresser to put the address, barcode etc. on a preprinted postcard. Our volumes are usually in the 2500 - 5000 range per mailing, doing about 10 of those mailings per month. We use Accuzip now and usually provide our mail house with the paperwork, etc. We would still send them all envelope mailings, but I need to have a better handle on one customer's postcard mailings, so that was the thought process behind getting an inkjet addresser.

For those volumes I would look at a tabletop inkjet with a dryer conveyor from Rena. Think Ink has a slew of different ink cartridges to match what you are printing on, some of the new fast drying ones do not need a dryer but you will need to test them first.

We had a small table-top Rena 20 years ago when we were in our infantcy for the smaller jobs. Very good machine, and very inexpensive. When we were ink jetting slick or glossy stock, we hooked up a heating lamp (you can find them at most any hardware or restaurant supply store) on the small output conveyor to dry the ink before it smudges.
Worked ok.

At those quantities you are almost certainly better off printing them digital and just address on press.

jrsc, I agree and we do that when we can. However, most customers like the heaviest stock they can get, like 14pt, and we don't have the capability to do that on our digital equipment.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back