Edge painting business cards

QP2101

I have tried 2 diff techniques on #130 un coated cover
1... I used a brayer to roll on a PMS matching ink
2... I used an acrylic spray paint

I've had a little bleeding problem, fixed that

My Main concerns are scuffing & drying time ...
both inks seem dry to the touch but the edge of card will mark the face of card when rubbed

Am I missing a process here???
Could use some help here
Thanks!

I have tried 2 diff techniques on #130 un coated cover
1... I used a brayer to roll on a PMS matching ink
2... I used an acrylic spray paint

I've had a little bleeding problem, fixed that

My Main concerns are scuffing & drying time ...
both inks seem dry to the touch but the edge of card will mark the face of card when rubbed

Am I missing a process here???
Could use some help here
Thanks!

We tried the brayer - ink went on too thick glued edges together
Spraypaint - too much penetration

ended up using a typical air brush from hobby lobby or harbor freight and the paints from hobby lobby good color shoice, water based, and when clamped together much more control on the edge bleeding . . .

Thank you!
Using an air brush, I have to match a PMS#, can the paints be mixed to come close??

How wide is the edge of a business card? Is is realistic to expect a match to a pms color on such a thin surface?

BTW, yes you can mix the paints to represent the target pms color.

I must be wayyy out of touch. While edge painted business cards probably looks pretty cool in a stack, I don't give my cards out in stacks. I've also never turned a business card (mine, or anyone else's) sideways, flat at eye level to see if the edge is painted, have any of you?. And, even if I did, and, it was, not sure that would persuade me to use the card owner's services or products over his/her competitor, or, even if it would make that business stick out in my mind. I must be losing it!

I must be wayyy out of touch. While edge painted business cards probably looks pretty cool in a stack, I don't give my cards out in stacks. I've also never turned a business card (mine, or anyone else's) sideways, flat at eye level to see if the edge is painted, have any of you?. And, even if I did, and, it was, not sure that would persuade me to use the card owner's services or products over his/her competitor, or, even if it would make that business stick out in my mind. I must be losing it!

I'll just leave this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZVkW9p-cCU
One thing I've learned in my years in printing is that people take their business cards more seriously than anything else.
It's very important to have the best business card to drop in the "win a free lunch" box at the local restaurant.

;) ;)

I'll just leave this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZVkW9p-cCU
One thing I've learned in my years in printing is that people take their business cards more seriously than anything else.
It's very important to have the best business card to drop in the "win a free lunch" box at the local restaurant.

;) ;)

Yes, I've already seen the video from another older thread on this forum.

I still don't get it, but then, maybe I'm not supposed to............:)

dabob...
I'll be using an airbrush BUT I'm a little confused...
I've read you can use AND NOT to use water based Acrylic paints for edge painting, which worked for you???

Water based worked fine for us . . at least no complaints so far . .. but just one customer

Keep in mind that acrylics dry into plastic - so you've got to be vigilent about thoroughly cleaning the airbrush.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back