Plockmatic 102 trouble - help?

lantz_xvx

Hi everyone. We recently bought a used Plockmatic 102 bookletmaker (and 103 trimmer) to replace our old Sprint MBM 2000. We bought it off eBay from a seller that seems really reputable (won't name names yet because so far they've been really helpful), but the machine doesn't put the staples on the fold. I've spent 3 hours on the phone split across two days with the seller's service manager, and he was really great, helped me learn a lot about how the machine works. I can get the fold in the right place, and the staples seem to be in the right place, if I measure from the tail edge to the staples - but not both. The seller dispatched a technician to come look at it today, and he couldn't figure it out either, so he's going to have to come back on Friday.

Anyone ever have this problem? Between me and the tech, it seems like all the available adjustments have been made. It also seems like, even if the fold is horribly wrong, the staples should always be right on the fold but they're about 1/4" off. Adjusting the staple stop affects the fold but doesn't get the staples any closer to being on the fold. And adjusting the fold gate seems to control how solid the sheet hits before it goes back up into the rollers to be folded and then ejected to the conveyor. But adjusting it too much makes the sheet float on top of it, and then the booklet comes out incredibly crooked.

Is there some sort of sensor that's been knocked askew, so that something is triggering too soon, or too late? Is it a timing issue? Do the physical staple heads somehow need to be adjusted?

The tech will be back in a couple of days, but I figured I'd ask here in case anyone can think of anything to try while I'm waiting.

Thanks!

- Lantz

Hi everyone. We recently bought a used Plockmatic 102 bookletmaker (and 103 trimmer) to replace our old Sprint MBM 2000. We bought it off eBay from a seller that seems really reputable (won't name names yet because so far they've been really helpful), but the machine doesn't put the staples on the fold. I've spent 3 hours on the phone split across two days with the seller's service manager, and he was really great, helped me learn a lot about how the machine works. I can get the fold in the right place, and the staples seem to be in the right place, if I measure from the tail edge to the staples - but not both. The seller dispatched a technician to come look at it today, and he couldn't figure it out either, so he's going to have to come back on Friday.

Anyone ever have this problem? Between me and the tech, it seems like all the available adjustments have been made. It also seems like, even if the fold is horribly wrong, the staples should always be right on the fold but they're about 1/4" off. Adjusting the staple stop affects the fold but doesn't get the staples any closer to being on the fold. And adjusting the fold gate seems to control how solid the sheet hits before it goes back up into the rollers to be folded and then ejected to the conveyor. But adjusting it too much makes the sheet float on top of it, and then the booklet comes out incredibly crooked.

Is there some sort of sensor that's been knocked askew, so that something is triggering too soon, or too late? Is it a timing issue? Do the physical staple heads somehow need to be adjusted?

The tech will be back in a couple of days, but I figured I'd ask here in case anyone can think of anything to try while I'm waiting.

Thanks!

- Lantz
Hi, I just bought this same machine with the same problem. Did you figure it out? Care to share how? Thanks in advance!

Hi, I just bought this same machine with the same problem. Did you figure it out? Care to share how? Thanks in advance!
Hey there. Sorry, this was years ago and I can't remember exactly what happened, but we use a service company called ServRight who has this guy Mike that knows these machines really well. He's a really great guy and does great work. They're not cheap so I try not to call them. Basically what you should do is set it to the 11x17 setting, take off the trimmer (if there's one attached) and feed a sheet in. There's like a little allen key adjustment that moves the stop up and down, so that needs to be set correctly for the staples to be right on the fold. Right now mine is slightly out of adjustment but it's not worth tinkering at the moment. Once you get it set it stays that way for awhile, but does need occasional looking at. Good luck!

We also picked up this same Plockmatic unit (102 bookletmaker and 103 trimmer). I'm having issues getting it to cut the booklets straight and I think it has something to do with the outfeed belts I replaced in the trimmer. I contacted ServRight but they don't have a tech in our area (Philadelphia region) that know these machines. I asked about that tech you mentioned but haven't heard back from them. Do you have any contact info for him? Thanks!

Hey Dischounds, sorry for the delay. I messaged you! Check it out and let me know how it goes.

- Lantz

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back