inks metallics

If you are going to print metallics on non-coated, offset paper stock, the expectations for brilliance should be realized as low. There is no reason to go to golds and coppers (bronze, rich or pale) using that metal. Aluminum or 'silver' as it called) should be the choice along with the combination of conventional pigments to get the desired shade that you want. Often times these inks are called imitation or semi-imitation metallics. You want to use aluminum as the metallic for a couple of reasons. 1) It will provide better runnability, as well as printablity, especially in an offset printing situation. 2) The aluminum approach is also better from an ink and fountain solution relationship versus bronze metallics. 3) Aluminum, imitation metallics will have a better abrasion resistance (less burnishing) vs. bronze. 4) One last one, this type of imitation ink will have longer shelf life for any kind of sheen, brilliance that can be expected going in.

The best thing I can recommend the services of a very good ink person to custom formulate you a product for your paper stock and print press conditions. Staying on the weaker side for total overall pigment is the best course, particularly if the ink take off (coverage) is medium to light.

As far as metallics on matte lamination, you definitely need a litho doctor, inkman to pretest before ever considering going into that endeavor.

Hope this helps some.

D Ink Man

Great explanation D Ink Man, I as a pressman always tried to avoid printing metallic gold. I always used Metallic Silver and mixed some pantone colors to make imitation gold ink. It runs easily with fewer problems in ink water balance and also plate mileage increases.

Yes, it's possible.

I think lamination will stick to metallic inks the same way it sticks to regular inks, although area of coverage may affect that and I'm not sure how much, if any. Also, since metallic inks are opaque and the lamination does seal the sheet, I don't think a chemical reaction would change the color after that.

I wouldn't be so sure about the lamination sticking. Best to test before making the commitment.

One more info over D Ink Man: For aluminum , ask for non-leafing type with vegi oil based ( which dries oxidatively). Non-leafing silver looks weaker but after application on it, looks better. It is also better in color mixing and pantone catalogue with 10000 series, uses this silver. Even some non-leafing silvers are over printable, I mean,print solid silver then other colors can be printed to get metallic effects for any color shade.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back