Matrix pneumatic laminators? Foil & spot-uv

jdr999

I was looking at the new Duplo laminator / foiler / coater for our short-run digital shop but these Matrix machines seem to offer a lot more flexibility.

They have the ability to laminate, foil, and spot uv (with special laminate). The biggest different I've found is that you can print directly on the Matrix foils and laminate which you can't do on the Duplo. So you print, laminate, print & foil, and then overprint on top of the foil. A lot of different combinations to be had......

They had a youtube video of printing solid black, silver foiling, and then printed a color swatch on top for 256 different shades of foil...

They appear to be primarily UK based and I can't find much information here in the US other than youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxGNULZ7Rkg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng5v9OLU5hg

Does anyone have any experience with these or similar machines?

Thanks,
Joe

We're due to receive our Matrix 530DP sometime in the next 3 weeks or so. We too, were drawn to the ability to add foil effects to our abilities. I'm especially eager to see how well the foil adheres to an uncoated stock. I'm under the impression the effects work best when done over top of a laminate. I'll let you know how it goes.

We're due to receive our Matrix 530DP sometime in the next 3 weeks or so. We too, were drawn to the ability to add foil effects to our abilities. I'm especially eager to see how well the foil adheres to an uncoated stock. I'm under the impression the effects work best when done over top of a laminate. I'll let you know how it goes.
Any updates?

I did reach out and received some samples which looked great.

Thanks,
Joe

Those jobs look very well finished. Wow! I did not know it
Does anyone know a similar system but for offset inks? That is, some sheets printed in offset that apply the hot foil only where there is ink.

Any updates?

I did reach out and received some samples which looked great.

Thanks,
Joe

Hey Joe, so far the process of receiving the Matrix has been less than stellar. We were promised no more than 5 weeks for delivery from the time we ordered the machine. It's now been 3 months, not too happy. But we have a delivery date of March 20th so as soon as it's up and running I'll post some input. The thing I really want to find is a manufacturer that can supply us with white sleeking foil. Seems to not exist which is weird because with all the emphasis being put on white ink on new digital presses these days, I think white foil would be a homerun.

I've owned a 370P for the last 3 years, it's an awesome bit of kit and really easy to use. For foil and spot gloss, don't reckon on more than 1.5m/s speed, it can physically do it but you start getting imperfections. Run it with a good high quality printer and you'll be fine, doesn't even need to be a new printer, I've been using it with a Bizhub C360 and a 200gsm pro design paper and I'm still blown away by the quality of the prints. Maybe 1 out of 30 I would fail. Easy to set up, fast to warm up and get running.

We were using it for art purposes, printing foil, then printing over the top with art work, hard to properly explain and sometimes the finish could be hit or miss [artwork dependant] but created a really unique product.

If you have any questions I can try and help.

Anyone in the UK interested, I'm actually selling mine as it's no longer needed for my business as we're changing directions but nothing but good things to say about it.

We are located in Ontario and we have had a Matrix for about a year and we love it!! We laminate 13x19 almost exclusively as we print book covers 2-up. We buy 12.75" laminating rolls. The automatic feeder is awesome and lets you do other things with one ear open. We haven't used the foil attachment yet.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back