Collapse
Canon
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fascile sewing

We've got a specification for book and in postpress section we've found this term — fascicle sewing.
    Do anyone know what this is? I've ran through PIA books and didn't find any term like this.
    Last edited by cementary; 02-19-2018, 06:14 AM. Reason: missed 1 character

Oh, I know this one, fascicle sewing in relation to books is thread stitching where (if memory serves) imposed and cut sheets (the fascicles) are stitched together and collated for stitch binding, really old school stuff.
    Last edited by Slammer; 02-19-2018, 07:12 AM. Reason: Spelling, darn spelling.

Comment

Originally posted by Slammer View Post
      Oh, I know this one, fascile sewing in relation to books is thread stitching where (if memory serves) imposed and cut sheets (the Fasciles) are stitched together and collated for stitch binding, really old school stuff.
      Thank you.
      maybe you have any image of the final sewing looks like?

Comment

Something like this, but I am sure that some bookbinders will be around shortly to add to the topic.

Comment

Something like this, but I am sure that some bookbinders will be around shortly to add to the topic.
          Aha, so this term is for hand sewing, right? And for machine sewing this can be same as smyth sewing maybe?

Comment

Hello cementary,

Fascille Sewing IS used for sewing Clothes, not Bookbinding,

Try Pinterest re Bookbinding methods also Google.

Regards, Alois

Comment

Originally posted by Alois Senefelder View Post
              Hello cementary,

Regards, Alois
              That's funny, thanks. But I think I made it clear in the first post - that's what customer wrote in specification. Don't you think I made it up?

Comment

Hello cementary,

Regards, Alois
                It is for sewing but also used to describe muscle bundles, but the term is used also in binding...

(from wiki) #
                From Latin fasciculus, a diminutive of fascis ‘bundle’ also
                1. (anatomy) A small bundle of nerve, muscle or tendon fibers.
                2. One of the divisions of a book published in separate parts; a fascicle.
                Hope to have helped;.)

Comment

Err, sorry, but i missed 1 character — it's fascicle sewing

Comment

Originally posted by cementary View Post
                    Err, sorry, but i missed 1 character — it's fascicle sewing
                    Neither my 950 page GATF Encyclopedia of Graphic communications nor my 1200 page Heidelberg Handbook of Print Media include this term. I would check with the client to better understand what they're talking about. I wouldn't guess.

Comment

Originally posted by gordo View Post

Neither my 950 page GATF Encyclopedia of Graphic communications nor my 1200 page Heidelberg Handbook of Print Media include this term. I would check with the client to better understand what they're talking about. I wouldn't guess.
                      Thanks, Gordo! That's what we've decided to do. Btw i've found that one printshop in europe describe their multiplex sa with "1000 facicles per hour", though neither our multiplex manual nor meccanotecnica catalog use this term

Comment

Gentlemen and cemantary,

The correct term to use ---- Signatures - be it a..........

8 page, 16 page, 24 page, 32 page and so on

Regards, Alois

Comment

Gentlemen and cemantary,

The correct term to use ---- Signatures - be it a..........

8 page, 16 page, 24 page, 32 page and so on

Regards, Alois
                          Probably. Dictionary.com describes it as latin for “a section of a book or set of books being published in installments as separate pamphlets or volumes.”
                          I would still check with the client to confirm the meaning.

In one episode of Beyond the Fringe a coal miner offered that he couldn’t be a judge as he didn’t have the latin for the judging (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofUZNynYXzM). Now you need the latin to work in print? LOL
                          Last edited by gordo; 02-19-2018, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gordo View Post

Probably. Dictionary.com describes it as latin for “a section of a book or set of books being published in installments as separate pamphlets or volumes.”
                            I would still check with the client to confirm the meaning.

In one episode of Beyond the Fringe a coal miner offered that he couldn’t be a judge as he didn’t have the latin for the judging (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofUZNynYXzM). Now you need the latin to work in print? LOL
                            If I remember it is a term that you find more in France and Italy, But that´s another thing what apprenticeships are good for, learning stuff so that you can astonish people on a online forum 40 years down the line.
                            Last edited by Slammer; 02-20-2018, 12:41 AM.

Comment

If I remember it is a term that you find more in France and Italy, But that´s another thing what apprenticeships are good for, learning stuff so that you can astonish people on a online forum 40 years down the line.
                              I cast my flong in your general direction! ;-)

Comment

4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)AleyantCanonKBA
                              Standard FinishingDuplo

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5717 users online. 100 members and 5617 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
                              X