Fascile sewing

cementary

We've got a specification for book and in postpress section we've found this term — fascicle sewing.
Do anyone know what this is? I've ran through PIA books and didn't find any term like this.

Last edited:
Oh, I know this one, fascicle sewing in relation to books is thread stitching where (if memory serves) imposed and cut sheets (the fascicles) are stitched together and collated for stitch binding, really old school stuff.

Last edited:
Oh, I know this one, fascile sewing in relation to books is thread stitching where (if memory serves) imposed and cut sheets (the Fasciles) are stitched together and collated for stitch binding, really old school stuff.

Thank you.
maybe you have any image of the final sewing looks like?

Something like this, but I am sure that some bookbinders will be around shortly to add to the topic.

Attachments

• photo7381.jpg
    photo7381.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 239
  • photo7382.jpg
    photo7382.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 207
  • photo7383.jpg
    photo7383.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 206
Hello cementary,

Fascille Sewing IS used for sewing Clothes, not Bookbinding,

Try Pinterest re Bookbinding methods also Google.

Regards, Alois

That's funny, thanks. But I think I made it clear in the first post - that's what customer wrote in specification. Don't you think I made it up?

Hello cementary,

Fascille Sewing IS used for sewing Clothes, not Bookbinding,

Try Pinterest re Bookbinding methods also Google.

Regards, Alois

It is for sewing but also used to describe muscle bundles, but the term is used also in binding...

(from wiki) #
From Latin fasciculus, a diminutive of fascis ‘bundle’ also
  1. (anatomy) A small bundle of nerve, muscle or tendon fibers.
  2. One of the divisions of a book published in separate parts; a fascicle.
Hope to have helped;.)

Err, sorry, but i missed 1 character — it's fascicle sewing

Neither my 950 page GATF Encyclopedia of Graphic communications nor my 1200 page Heidelberg Handbook of Print Media include this term. I would check with the client to better understand what they're talking about. I wouldn't guess.

Neither my 950 page GATF Encyclopedia of Graphic communications nor my 1200 page Heidelberg Handbook of Print Media include this term. I would check with the client to better understand what they're talking about. I wouldn't guess.

Thanks, Gordo! That's what we've decided to do. Btw i've found that one printshop in europe describe their multiplex sa with "1000 facicles per hour", though neither our multiplex manual nor meccanotecnica catalog use this term

Gentlemen and cemantary,

The correct term to use ---- Signatures - be it a..........

8 page, 16 page, 24 page, 32 page and so on

Regards, Alois

Gentlemen and cemantary,

The correct term to use ---- Signatures - be it a..........

8 page, 16 page, 24 page, 32 page and so on

Regards, Alois

Probably. Dictionary.com describes it as latin for “a section of a book or set of books being published in installments as separate pamphlets or volumes.”
I would still check with the client to confirm the meaning.

In one episode of Beyond the Fringe a coal miner offered that he couldn’t be a judge as he didn’t have the latin for the judging (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofUZNynYXzM). Now you need the latin to work in print? LOL

Last edited:
Probably. Dictionary.com describes it as latin for “a section of a book or set of books being published in installments as separate pamphlets or volumes.”
I would still check with the client to confirm the meaning.

In one episode of Beyond the Fringe a coal miner offered that he couldn’t be a judge as he didn’t have the latin for the judging (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofUZNynYXzM). Now you need the latin to work in print? LOL

If I remember it is a term that you find more in France and Italy, But that´s another thing what apprenticeships are good for, learning stuff so that you can astonish people on a online forum 40 years down the line.

Last edited:
If I remember it is a term that you find more in France and Italy, But that´s another thing what apprenticeships are good for, learning stuff so that you can astonish people on a online forum 40 years down the line.

I cast my flong in your general direction! ;-)

Could be worst, could be truetype.
I did laugh at this though:
The Flong were the indigenous population in British newspaper The Guardian's 1977 April fool story[SUP][2][/SUP] on the fictional islands of San Serriffe.[SUP][3][/SUP] This was only one of many printing and typographical punsin the story.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back