Konica C3070 - Inline or Offline Finishing?

gazfocus

We've just placed an order for a Konica Minolta C3070 with integrated Fiery, 2 drawer high capacity feeder and FS-532 finishing unit with punch kit installed. However, I've just realised that this means the machine can't do folding or booklets, and the saddle stich unit is about £12k.

I know Konica also do a finisher that is a 'downgrade' from what we have but does have the folding/booklet maker which is cheaper than the FS-532 but I'm not sure if that's an option now as Konica have already ordered our machine.

I'm just looking for some opinions on whether we would be better seeing if we can add folding and booklet making options to our Konica or would we be better buying used offline equipment (which I guess would then save us having to pay a click charge for folding, etc).

Hi
You may want to consider the SD 510 booklet maker which is an add on to the FS 532. 20 sheets max. Works well on stocks up to 80# Cover or equivalent. Fold/saddle only, no trim. Your sales person could add this on to the order, it may just arrive after install. This is a low cost unit for short runs, 1,000 books or less versus binding offline. For long runs or booklet greater than 20 sheets/80 pages you may want to consider an off line unit which would be faster. Consider your staple cost, includes this in the maintenance program if you elect the SD 510.

Hi
You may want to consider the SD 510 booklet maker which is an add on to the FS 532. 20 sheets max. Works well on stocks up to 80# Cover or equivalent. Fold/saddle only, no trim. Your sales person could add this on to the order, it may just arrive after install. This is a low cost unit for short runs, 1,000 books or less versus binding offline. For long runs or booklet greater than 20 sheets/80 pages you may want to consider an off line unit which would be faster. Consider your staple cost, includes this in the maintenance program if you elect the SD 510.
Our sales guy said we would need the SD-506 which he said would cost just under £12k which is a cost we just couldn’t justify. He didn’t mention the SD-510. I shall ask the question. We could get a used Duplo DBM-120 for £3-4K.

Either new or used, do you wish to purchase a new booklet maker, or a punch, or a perfect binder every time you switch out your digital engine. These machines could and should last 10 - 15 years and I sell them all.

David Spiel
Spiel Associates, Inc.
45-01 Northern Blvd.
Long Island City, NY 11101
718-392-7900
[email protected]

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back