Collapse
Canon
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perfect Binding Opinions

So I am seeing an opportunity to get into perfect binding for booklets. Been getting more and more quote request for perfect binding on large booklets (150+ pages). I think this could be a good market to expand to as long as the experiment doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. What I am wondering is if something like a Duplo DM-250 would be suitable for runs of 500ish perfect bound booklets? Says it cycles at 200/hour, but I'm guessing its more like half that. I understand there are way more automated machines than the Duplo, but to expand to that market I can pick up the duplo for $2k or so, so its a rather cheap investment to experiment with. Any opinions on if this would be a good starting place, or am I going to be in over my head with that machine and runs of 500 or so? BTW we can outsource the binding to a shop about 45 mins away from us, but it is just a hassle and not very cost effective to be competitive when they charge us $1.50-2.00/book for perfect binding.

No input from anyone? Surely there are some people on this forum using a similar machine and could tell me what types of run lengths they're using them for and how they are?

Comment

But we're like really busy. It's summer and stuff.

If I did perfect binding I would let you know.

Comment

I would pay the 1.50-2.00. Perfect binding especially large books takes a lot of labor, not so much on the binding part but cutting the 3 edges of the book. Don't worry though, if you want to get into it davidspiel should be along shortly to offer you a perfect binder.

Comment

Yes, here I am. $1.50 - $2.00 is a little high to perfect bind books.

If you would like to discuss perfect binder options, please contact me:

David Spiel
          718-392-7900
          davidspiel@spielassociates.com

Comment

I would contact Horizon and buy a used BQ 270. If you find you are doing a lot more work and need something faster you can graduate to something faster.

Comment

I am not familiar with the Duplos first hand, but I will second Halmac's suggestion of a Horizon BQ270. We used to have a BQ440 and that was a great machine. I believe the 270 would be a great machine for the runs you're talking about. You could also look at an older model BQ240. Unfortunately I can't tell you anything about price.

Comment

4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)AleyantCanonKBA
              Standard FinishingDuplo

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2913 users online. 46 members and 2867 guests.

Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

Working...
              X