Standard Finishing
4Over

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saddle Stitch booklet maker for a small shop

Collapse
Canon
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Santa what i'm looking for is something that can assist with the fold. and saddle stitch

    Comment


    • #17
      I don't really think you're going to find much that will fold and stitch with the budget you have.
      That budget sounds more like a table-top or stand up, hand-stitch machine.

      Especially for a book that size. We have a $65K C.P. Bourg stitcher and even that would take some adjusting to stitch a book that thick.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by PrintIT View Post
        I don't really think you're going to find much that will fold and stitch with the budget you have.
        That budget sounds more like a table-top or stand up, hand-stitch machine.

        Especially for a book that size. We have a $65K C.P. Bourg stitcher and even that would take some adjusting to stitch a book that thick.
        Ok cool so you're suggesting hand folding the pages then using a table top stitcher to stitch them then?

        Comment


        • #19
          by the way PrintIT the book is only 19 sheets in total

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by positiveg View Post
            by the way PrintIT the book is only 19 sheets in total
            You said it was an 80 page book = 20 forms + cover. And you said it's 80# text with a 12pt cover? That's a decently thick saddle book.
            I have a little hand stitcher that I use for making proofs, and it would never be able to put a stitch through that.

            Originally posted by positiveg View Post
            Ok cool so you're suggesting hand folding the pages then using a table top stitcher to stitch them then?
            Again, I just don't see any way you're going to find a collator/folder/stitcher for anywhere near your budget.

            If we got a job like that, and didn't have our stitcher, we'd print the job then send it out for finishing.
            We're a small/midsize shop, and there's plenty of other finishing we can't do in-house that we send out.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by PrintIT View Post

              You said it was an 80 page book = 20 forms + cover. And you said it's 80# text with a 12pt cover? That's a decently thick saddle book.
              I have a little hand stitcher that I use for making proofs, and it would never be able to put a stitch through that.

              Yeah so I'm wondering if i should just maybe perfect bind the book and then print on 32lb paper and use the same 12pt cover cause that might be better
              The machine we use for perfect bound though is all manual and I just used it for the first time the other day but i got the hang of it I'll need something to put the crease in the paper though cause doing the creases by hand was crazy

              Again, I just don't see any way you're going to find a collator/folder/stitcher for anywhere near your budget.

              If we got a job like that, and didn't have our stitcher, we'd print the job then send it out for finishing.
              We're a small/midsize shop, and there's plenty of other finishing we can't do in-house that we send out.
              I actually used a larger company here to do the finishing, but I'll be honest because I'm a small print shop and I'm just coming in and they didn't get the job, the amount they charged me to staple two jobs, 9600 books) and trim, is about how much it cost me to print the same number of books. So they are doing everything in their power to get me out of business hence why for this upcoming job if i'm to win the bid (200 books 80 pages including cover) I need to try to do as much in house as possible.


              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by positiveg View Post

                I wondered why he suggested that lol
                Because when I suggested a $5,000-$7,000 solution to stitch, fold, trim your books you said that was way out of your budget. I didn't have a reference point as to what your budget is so I offered the cheapest solution which can be had for under $50.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by arossetti View Post

                  Because when I suggested a $5,000-$7,000 solution to stitch, fold, trim your books you said that was way out of your budget. I didn't have a reference point as to what your budget is so I offered the cheapest solution which can be had for under $50.
                  The suggestion you made the machine I saw was $17K not 5-7K so my apologies But i didn't see that

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Hi arossetti I've looked for the Horizon SPF-10 with no collator but no luck
                    I'm getting some financial assistance to cover the cost of buying the unit
                    G

                    Comment

                    4OverStandard FinishingDuploSmartsoft (Presswise)AleyantCanonKBA
                    Standard FinishingDuplo

                    What's Going On

                    Collapse

                    There are currently 4215 users online. 97 members and 4118 guests.

                    Most users ever online was 6,597 at 10:25 AM on 04-20-2018.

                    Working...
                    X