Saddle Stitch booklet maker for a small shop

positiveg

Good day first time poster here so hi to all

I'm a small shop located in the Caribbean, St. Kitts to be exact
I have ta C75 Digital Press
We are just a little bit over a year old and one of teh only digital print shops on the island
So over the past months we have been seeing an increase in the number of clients coming in to ask for booklets to be printed
we do small booklets for funerals like weekly,. But now we getting requests from large companies and government departments
I'm bidding for a job to print a 40th anniversary magazine for a client so I know I'll need a saddle stitch booklet maker
I've been searching and I'm willing to buy used as that's mainly what I can afford now in that market
Can someone assist me
the booklet is 80 pages including cover will run it on 80gsm inside and 12pt cover
thanks in advance
G

Are you looking to do this inline with your digital? If so I do not think there is anything out there that will fold and staple with a 12pt cover. 80 pages might be pushing it as well, but not 100% sure on that. You might need to look at a hand fed saddle stitcher. You collate the job and then stitch. Back in the day when I did it at our shop I was getting to speeds around 1000 an hour.

I could be wrong, just never heard of anything that can do it all inline digitally with a 12pt cover.

Actually nope don't need it inline, we don't have the space to add a unit inline anyway
So if it's hand fed that would be great too
And don't have to be new either
thanks

I did post and tell you my budget of 5 K
the unit is to be used
A long reach stapler can't work
it's 20 sheets (80 pages)

Thanks much I'll take a look into this,
remember it's 80 gsm paper
and it's 2000 booklets
But this looks good like something good to have
I got a Baum folder last month and can't get it to work how it should

I sold an SPF 10 for $1500 so I think it's easy with in your budget to find a used one. Wouldn't even think about running an 80 PG on a booklet maker. You really need to do this two passes on a real saddle stitch or the stitches will tear through the cover. Or perfect bind it.

I sold an SPF 10 for $1500 so I think it's easy with in your budget to find a used one. Wouldn't even think about running an 80 PG on a booklet maker. You really need to do this two passes on a real saddle stitch or the stitches will tear through the cover. Or perfect bind it.

So you are suggesting folding sets of pages then stapling them?

I haven't seen a SPF 10 for nowhere close that price those I seeing is 7 grand and above

You can pick up a used Bostitch Saddle Stitcher for under 1K US. It's a hand feed and you will have to book trim three sides after on a guillotine. We've used ours for 20 years. Mostly for jobs under 500.

You can pick up a used Bostitch Saddle Stitcher for under 1K US. It's a hand feed and you will have to book trim three sides after on a guillotine. We've used ours for 20 years. Mostly for jobs under 500.

Thank you very much will look into one of these

I don't really think you're going to find much that will fold and stitch with the budget you have.
That budget sounds more like a table-top or stand up, hand-stitch machine.

Especially for a book that size. We have a $65K C.P. Bourg stitcher and even that would take some adjusting to stitch a book that thick.

I don't really think you're going to find much that will fold and stitch with the budget you have.
That budget sounds more like a table-top or stand up, hand-stitch machine.

Especially for a book that size. We have a $65K C.P. Bourg stitcher and even that would take some adjusting to stitch a book that thick.

Ok cool so you're suggesting hand folding the pages then using a table top stitcher to stitch them then?

by the way PrintIT the book is only 19 sheets in total

You said it was an 80 page book = 20 forms + cover. And you said it's 80# text with a 12pt cover? That's a decently thick saddle book.
I have a little hand stitcher that I use for making proofs, and it would never be able to put a stitch through that.

Ok cool so you're suggesting hand folding the pages then using a table top stitcher to stitch them then?

Again, I just don't see any way you're going to find a collator/folder/stitcher for anywhere near your budget.

If we got a job like that, and didn't have our stitcher, we'd print the job then send it out for finishing.
We're a small/midsize shop, and there's plenty of other finishing we can't do in-house that we send out.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back