Challenge Not Cutting Bottom Sheet...

kdw75

We have a Challenge 305 that will cut fine if you have a full lift in the cutter, but if you try to cut less than about half a lift, it doesn't cut the bottom sheet. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi sir:
Hope you are well .
Please test the following:
1) Knife too dull
2)outside relief valve defective
3) Pressure control valve clogged or defective.
4)knife cylinder seal worn.
Let me know
Blessing
[email protected]
Mobile+WhatsApp:+505 8861 1441

Maybe start simple; flip cut stick, move knife down, build up under cut stick

I go along with this. Start with the easy solutions. When you install a sharpened blade the adjustment can be a bit tricky. Put in a single sheet and bring the blade down (manually) until it just cuts the sheet evenly across. The sheet should cover as much of the cutting bed as possible. Maybe 2 or 3 sheets placed side by side. Use a new cutting stick when doing this.

Have a Challenge 265. After replacing blades I usually have to readjust blade, especially when cutting full sheets of Card Stock. It is usually a quarter turn of each adjustment bolt.

We have put on a sharp blade and replacing the cutter stick hasn't helped. It acts as though it looses pressure at the bottom of the blade stroke. If you cut something heavy like 24pt paper it won't cut the bottom couple of sheets, but on something like 20lb bond it will cut all the way through. It also seems to cut more reliably through if the sheets are smaller. For example, cutting 80# gloss cover that is 12.5" wide it works perfectly. Cutting it when it's 25 inches wide and it won't cut the bottom sheet or two.

Hi sir:
Hope you are well .
Please test the following:
1) Knife too dull
2)outside relief valve defective
3) Pressure control valve clogged or defective.
4)knife cylinder seal worn.
Let me know
Blessing
[email protected]

1) Nope.
2-4 Maybe. It isn't leaking any fluid from the knife cylinder. Would the gauge readings give any indication of where to look?

Not leaking is NOT indication that 2+3+4 is defective sir.
Please follow the steps.
I am ex-retired P.Engineer BSEE ,with over 46 years of experienced trainining in Germany by Polar, Heidelberg, Wohlenberg, Schneider, Challenge AND Many other Graphic Arts Equipments.
and you must do that steps.
Otherwise you are lloosing time +money.
Let me know
Blessing
[email protected]

Chock is right. Follow the instructions in the manual. If you don't have one, it is available online from Challenge as a PDF download.

Turns out that we had a crack in the bottom of the knife cylinder. It has poured fluid into the bottom of the electrical box and was filling up fast.

I don't know what the previous owner did to this machine, but so far, we have had cracks in the knife and clamp cylinder and have had to replace most of the hoses because of leaking fittings.

Turns out that we had a crack in the bottom of the knife cylinder. It has poured fluid into the bottom of the electrical box and was filling up fast.

I don't know what the previous owner did to this machine, but so far, we have had cracks in the knife and clamp cylinder and have had to replace most of the hoses because of leaking fittings.

Stored someplace where it could freeze maybe?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back