Quarter Folding Process....

kdw75

We have a couple of monthly newsletters we run that we have to mail. Our current process is to take the saddle-stitched 8.5x11 newsletters and hand fold them down to 8.5x5.5 inches then tab. Is there an automated method for folding a stitched booklet?

Last edited:
I am not sure how that folder is unique. We have an MBO folder and we have tried folding the finished pieces, but when they are stapled it tears the spine.

A continuous feed folder would probably work. We fold them on our MBO continuous feed folder. A pile feed folder (air suction) would probably tear the spine as you mentioned. We also have an MBO Pile Feed, and, it won't run on it. The suction lifts up the first page, then skews/tears the booklet.

We are running them offset. They are 3-11x17 signatures on 70# Gloss Text. We collate fold and stitch. Then we hand fold down to 5.5 8.5 inches. We do some that aren't stitched and those we can fold on our folder. We hand feed them into the right angle unit and they fold without tearing. The stitching is what we can't get to work without hand folding.

On another note, I am not sure if the staples will damage the rollers in the folder.

The sheets can't slide to accommodate the fold when stapled, so you get pulling, tearing and puckering. As a rule we do not staple newsletters that will quarter-fold. If the customer insists they staple, we will do 1 staple so the sheets have some freedom to move when folded. We feed through the right angle unit. If they insist on 2 we hand fold at a substantial higher rate. Most are happy with 1 staple to keep the sheets from sliding apart.

We have an odd folder we can put them through, but it's a pain in the ass. Even with two people running it you can only manage 800 - 1,000 per hour. It maxes out at about 5 sheets of 60# text, and about 8 sheets for 20#.

MBO made a knife unit model Z. It rolls up to our Multibinder to make a right angle fold. Staples are no problem. Can do up to 5-6 sheets. Has height adjustment and angle adjustments to fit the delivery end of your equipment.

The client insists on stapling. We are charging a premium and my only concern is that they will one day shop around and find someone using another process I am unfamiliar with to do it much faster/cheaper. The fact that everyone is telling me that it is a pain and slow makes me feel like we are justified in charging what we are and doing it by hard for the best results.

I have contemplated the one stitch idea, but haven't tried it.

Just as Bill said, we use our horizon knife folder. Set up the hand feed unit and it folds nearly as fast as you can feed them, and looks great. We have a job of 1200 we do once a month.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back