Magnet Information

PricelineNegotiator

Hello,

I have recently received a few requests from customers for printed products intended to be applied to a fridge via a magnet. One product is 8.5 x 11" sheet with two magnetic strips on the map, that functions as a cheap dry erase board (UV coating), and the other is a third-page pad of maybe 25 sheets, 60# text, with the magnetic strip applied to the chipboard. I know there are different grades of magnets that exist, but I have no idea what type of magnet I should purchase to ensure the pieces stay affixed to the fridge. Can anyone lend their expertise on this matter? Vendor information would be great.

Thank you in advance.

With fridge magnets you are dealing with shear force. The holding ability for the shear direction is a combination of magnetic pull and surface friction. Therefore there isn't a universal answer. Each manufacturer or product will be different and you are at their mercy to provide accurate info. Generally speaking the softer materials will have better shear hold. Most will specify the holding weight in grams per square in of material. Do the math and round up.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back