Your advice for a small hydrolic cutter

funwork

We are currently operating a refurbished IDEAL 5250 cutter (electrical clamp and cutting)
The job is done but without a programming device and with a wheel ajusting cut it can sometimes be a real pain operate when we deal with small cut (like small cards)

Whatever, we are considering the option to move on and invest in something more reliable.
We are looking for something that will deal without any problem with 26'' sized cuts, that will be programmable and will be sharp.

So far we have underlined 3 machines :
BAUMFOLDER 26,4 cutter
CHALLENGE Titan 265 cutter
POLAR 66 cutter

Of course the POLAR should be the one but I assume it will be far more expensive than the two others.

We had proposal for the BAUMFOLDER and the CHALLENGE around 20k$ and i don't have any clue of the price of the POLAR.

What would be your advice here or your feedback on these machines.

Thanks a lot for all your help.

Frank

Look into an Itoh cutter. I have a 45 inch Polar EMC for 18 years and it's been great, but I wish I had bought an Itoh instead.

Itoh Cutters - Google Search

Al

Edit: Hmmmm..., I just pursued that link, and did not find the manufacturer. Perhaps it's no longer made? Good thing I got a Polar. ;-)

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll take a look.
45'' is a little big for us as the max we should cut is 26,5''.

Anyway thanks for your answer

Frank

FYI - Baumfolder and Polar are the same cutter for the most part. Baum (part of Heidelberg) brings in the Polar base and builds on it. Take a tour of the factory in Sidney Ohio and see it for yourself, it's and excellent operation.

Baum Cutter's

Baum Cutter's

Very nice machines. Buy from a good dealer that can service it and set it up properly.

A good alternative is a Challenge 30.5 in good shape with a micro-cut installed. Once again buy from a good dealer that knows how to set up and service it properly.
Use a company that is local and not a bloated digital press seller.

There are many small dealers that will love to have your business and do a good job for you.

Good luck
CYMK

If no-one else has mentioned it, then good advice is to go and see these machines all demonstrated. Once you've seen them in operation you'll probably find that you have a load more questions that you want to ask.

For example: we have an EBA 551LT and a Polar 78. The Polar is just so much faster than the EBA it's in a completely different league. If you'd only seen the one machine, you might think that all guillotines operated at roughly the same speed! On the flip side, the Polar is a lot more complex to program, operate and maintain. You really need a solid days training on the Polar to get started, whereas the EBA is a doddle to operate and just about anyone can operate it with the minimum safety etc. training.

One last tip - make sure you get an air table!

Thanks for all your answers.

I didn't mention it but I am living in 400000 souls island !
That mean we don't really have local dealers for these machines.
Some Heidelberg tech do service Polar cutter but you have to pay the price of a POLAR cutter!
My though was that maybe we could go with a Baum or a Challenge cutter that we could use and service with the help of someone that already service cutter.
Maybe i'm wrong but I think that all in one, someone able to service a POLAR cutter should be able to service another brand cutter.

Thanks for your return.

Frank

All three cutters (Challenge, Baum, and Polar) are excellent cutters. They will provide you with ample years of trouble-free operation. Resale value on them will all be very good also. Since I represent the Challenge, I obviously would like your business! However, the suggestion to see each machine demonstrated to you is sound advice. You can see the Titan 265 demonstrated on the Challenge website (Challenge Machinery) if you cannot make it to a live demo. This gives you a glimpse at the construction quality of the machine, along with some of the convenient features.

Good luck!

-Alex Esnaola

I viewed a couple of the videos. My advice is get rid of the dam annoying music and put in a voice over that explains the features mentioned in those big headlines. Why ? Because the music and having to read those headlines compete with the viewer's attention to the product depicted in the video. Basic communications 101.

Sure, I could replay the video until I got what I needed out of it, or I could move on to the videos on your competitor's web site. You want fries with that?

Edit: Incidentally, that Daeho machine reminds me of the Itoh. Is that a coincidence?

Last edited:
What video on their websites?!?!!

Thanks for the critique...will look the suggestions when I redo the videos.

I don't see the benefit of this post in relation to the OP's question, though.

Again, thanks for your feedback.

We have asked for quotation for both the Baum and the Challenge cutter as it seems the two machines compare, I guess it will be at the end a $$$$ decision !

The carbon steel knife has been an acceptable knife for many years. It is low in cost and relatively cheap to sharpen. The high-speed steel (HSS) blades, in comparison, are about twice as much money up-front, but they hold their sharpened edge anywhere from three to five times longer depending on the material you are cutting. The small additional amount you will spend on the HSS knives up front can be recovered in less downtime for knife changes.

Hope this helps!

Alex Esnaola

Knowing what your operation processes would help in some decision making. I have run just about all models and there are a few things that I would put at the top of the list. If you are looking at what machine will have the best resale value POLAR is it. Don't let any knife salesman convince you otherwise. Backguage minimum distance is important because if you do business cards then having a backguage that goes below 2" will make a difference in production if you have to take the false clamp out constantly. Getting an air bed is going to ease your operation of the machine. If the machine doesn't have it, walk away from it. But what you need to consider most is who can service it for you because it will break down and a shop with no knife is a parking brake for the workflow. Locate service, decide on cash outlay for the machine, and try to test drive a few of them. All machines will have their differences and what you do or do not want is really up to you.

ondemandbindery is 100% correct. Do your research, make sure you have someone nearby (not someone who has to fly out) to service your cutter, and fits within your financial constraints.

For over 139 years now, Challenge cutters have also been highly regarded for their high resale values. You dont have to take my word for it - just pick up any trade magazine and check out the classifieds. We routinely see our ~20 years old cutters fetching 50% or better of their original selling price.

Good luck in your decision!

Alex Esnaola

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back