InDesign CS2 black type not showing in color pallet

We run Mac os 10.4.11 with CS2 and CS3. We have a new client. When we highlight caption type in a poster it does not come up as anything in the color pallet. It is clearly visible on the screen as black which is what we want. We learned this when we went to our Apogee X light and previewed it. It also comes out with no type on the film.

Our work around is to open the document, triple click on the type, select black in the color pallet. Why is this happening and only with this new client? Is there some sort of preference we are missing here?

I really do not want to, nor think we should have to do this fix on all documents.

Edited by: Pat on Dec 19, 2007 11:18 AM

Re: InDesign CS2 black type not showing in color pallet

How does it view in Separation Preview? Are using a PPC or Intel Mac?

We are using Intel on one machine with CS3 and a G5 with CS2 on the other machine. It is a CS2 document.

When in Separation Preview it shows as black (looks solid). CMY is dropping out. We want to overprint onto CMY. This is where we came across this problem. We could not get the black type to NOT K/O from the CMY.

Try creating a "KO Black" process color swatch of 100% Black and apply it to the type you want to KO. Somewhere in InDesign preferences, the "[Black]" swatch is configured to overprint which is typically a good idea, but not always. By creating and applying "KO Black", it is not the "[Black]" swatch and so it won't overprint.

Edited by: GinSu on Dec 19, 2007 11:02 AM

Hi Pat

It looks like the type is set to a color swatch which has been deleted. You should be able to get it back by going to the submenu in the swatches palette and choosing "Add Unnamed Colors".

You should see some new color names in your swatches palette. Select the text to see which one it uses, then delete that swatch and choose to replace it with black.

Good Luck
Shawn

Nevermind! I was thinking faster than I was reading.

Shawn,

BINGO !!! That worked! Now the understanding needs to be achieved...

How could someone have thrown out this swatch when the type is still in the document?

What makes it different to name it as c-0 y-0 m-0 k-100 vs (black)?

In separation preview when it is selected (black) the cym does not K/O. When it is selected as c-0 m-0 y-0 k-100 the cym still K/O's. Why is this? This is a solid k so it should O/P.

If our client ran this through a preflight program would this have been flagged?

Many thanks to Shawn!

Like Shawn said, select the type, go to Swatch palette, click on upper arrow at top edge of Swatch palette, and choose New Color Swatch. Then delete that Swatch and replace with Black.

Then just make sure InDesign preferences > Appearance of Black tab is set to Display All Black Accurately, Output All Blacks Accurately, and make sure you check 'Overprint [Black] Swatch at 100%'

Don

"and make sure you check 'Overprint Black Swatch at 100%"
Not always a good Idea Don. Duplicators (ABDicks) use one blanket, and at times, need black to trap not overprint.
You also wouldn't want to overprint large areas of black on solid process builds on larger presses.

I posted as I did because Pat said that they wanted Black to overprint CMY. I am not familiar with ABDick, so I was just giving what the poster asked for.

Don

Ah I must get in the habit of reading the whole thread again, did see that she added to her first post.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back