PDF Engine

C

cjwworld

Hello, we PDF our pages using Adobe Distiller v8.0, which doesn't give any problems, But our commercial Clients perhaps is not using Adobe Distiller. They use IDCS2 to create pages and use PDF export Presets to export to PDF. The other day, I tried finding Distiller in their application folder (Mac) but could not find any.

What PDF engine could they be using? I am trying to investigate why most of the images are missing when I import PDF onto an IDCS3 Document.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Edited by: cjwworld on Jan 9, 2008 3:18 PM

Re: PDF Engine

This is probably too simple, but did you look in the Acrobat folder inside the applications folder?

Is it possible that they don't have Acrobat Professionnal that would explain why they wouldn't use Distiller.

When you say you are importing - are you using PDF2ID3?
We have this program and I might be able to help a little.

What is wrong with Exporting to PDF our of InDesign? They must be using some weird export settings for images to not be embedded.

If they are using INDD CS2 to make their PDFs by exporting, I believe that process involves using the PDF Library (native PDF, no intermediate postscript) that is installed with InDesign thus not really using Distiller. Someone correct me if I am wrong here.

As another respondent said, there is nothing wrong with exporting to PDF directly out of InDesign. We do it all the time.

As for why images aren't embedded, the only thing I can think of is that their export preset isn't configured correctly (or their images were marked as "non-printing"?).

Hope this helps!
Jon :)

Have them turn on overprint preview in InDesign. If the pics disappear, then more than likely the nonprinting box is checked in the attributes panel.

Dan R.

yes, i have done some reading, and doing the export to PDF from IDCS2 uses the same PDF engine as the distiller has. So it would be fine to use. The client wouldn't need an standalone distiller.

As far as images loss. I am still having problems. When you import their PDF, you will see all the components (images) then when you use separation preview, then you will see images disappear!. It will print to rip that way. Thankfully, I still have CS to use

That is interesting, I would have to talk to the client to see if the non printing box attributes are checked. I am not much on designing an page but I know about outputing though.

Can you give me an sample of one?

Thanks

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back