PSD Files, InDesign and PDF Export

SChristopher

I have a general Adobe question. When placing a .PSD file into an InDesign document and exporting a PDF, will the resulting file retain the PSD characteristics or will it be exported as raw image data? By image data I mean, a similar affect as exporting a document that utilizes transparency to a level of PDF that does not support it - a pseudo flattening.

Re: PSD Files, InDesign and PDF Export

As long as you keep the exported compatibility as PDF 1.4 or higher your file will
retain it's live transparency, if that's what you mean.

Thank you for the response. I understand the transparency support but my question had more to do with Photoshop files when they are placed in ID docs and then export as PDF. Considering all the information contained in PSD files, does this carry over on out put or is it converted,flattened etc...

A couple of things...

1) The Photoshop transparency model is the same as the PDF transparency
model - so there isn't an issue here.

2) The Photoshop layer model is VASTLY different than the PDF layer
model - so any layered PSD file MUST be have all layers "flattened" as
part of the export to PDF.

3) PDF doesn't support 'embedded PSD', so the image data must be
converted into a single raster image - akin to saving as PNG/JPEG from
Photoshop - during the export process.

Does that answer your questions??

Leonard

So, that layered (floating above) look in Photoshop just can't be maintained, huh?

@ Bluskool

No, I do not think that was what he was saying ! I can indeed retain any look and feel from Adobe Photoshop, thru InDesign and then to PDF (and print).

Do that all the time (even using variable where we use Adobe Photoshop effects on type - we happen to use XMIpie, but systems offer this too.)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back